The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, WICruiser, classicfins, Rick Brown, Youngin' Tut 59), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,594
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
Well it's taken me a while but I finally got the rear end out of my 77 GMC. I want to swap rear ends. There seems to be a few differences. One in particular is the spring mounts. On the 49, the axle mounts above the springs, while the axle for the 77 is mounted underneath the springs. How do I get around this? I want to leave the original springs in the 49. Or do I have to change them? If anyones knows where there is info on this, or any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kskt4

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 27
Y
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Y Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 27
Check out some of the stovebolt links. I've seen a 47-53 rear end conversion kit, but I think you need to get new leafs too. If you are getting rid of any parts on your old rear end, I may be willing to make it worth your time.


1954 Chevy 3100 235
2 Yamaha YSR50's
05 Silverado crew
00 Yamaha TT-R125 Supermoto
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
O
ove Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
I have swaped the rear axle on my 59 apache for one from a 85 S10. The only thing I had to do was cut of the spring mount on my original axel and weld them on the new one.
just make shure you take a lot of measurments to align it corectly.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
Thanks guys,
Been doing some reading. One thing I read says I have to make sure my pinion angle is correct. What exactly does he mean? And how do you calculate the angle?

Also. When I took the 49 rear end out, I broke the bolts that go through the center of the springs. Can those be changed?

ysrjunkie. I certainly will keep you in mind when I get it done. Are you in need of any other parts? When I bought the truck, it came with new drums and cylinders and parts for the huck system. I am upgrading to discs in the front so I won't be needing the hucks. Thanks.

kskt4

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
O
ove Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 33
No problem to swap the bolts, jusy make shure the hed will fit in the hole of the mount. A normal allen hed did the trick on chevy springs.
For the pinion angle I used a adjustable meter for measuring horisontal surfaces(don`t know the english word) on a flat surface next to the pinion
and made sure the mounts were horisontaly.
The most importante thing is to make shure the axle does not go straight in, you want some movement in the x bearing between rear axle and axle from engine.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 72
Thanks Ove,
I'm gonna get at grinding off the mounts today.

kskt4


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0