| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
85
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,542 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | So I found out why my cab in my 64 was always smelling like gas. On the bottom corner on the driver side, you can watch it drip. It's really leaking quite bad. Is their a product like "Radiator Stop Leak" for gas tanks? Is their a common tank I can fit under the bed realatively easily? Or any other tips or ideas anybody has will be greatly accepted. Thanks much! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 5 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 5 | When we lived in Michigan my dad bought a 1976 Caprice station wagon with loads of rust as a winter beater. The gas tank had the same sort of leak you described, so he slapped on some duct tape really quickly and sprayed a generous amount of undercoating on it. It never leaked after that, but I wouldn't suggest doing that especially inside the cab. Eastwood has some products that clean the rust out of gas tanks, etch the surface as a prep, and then coat the inside to seal off pinhole rust. I don't remember the exact products, but I'd give their site a look if you want to keep the tank inside the cab. Here's a link to a guy using it on his Ford truck: http://fordification.com/my67-p36.htm | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | If you plan to keep the tank in the cab, I suggest replacing the tank. There are sources that sell OEM or reproductions for your '64. Try chevyduty.com and LMCtruck.com. If you plan to relocate between the rear frame rails, Classic Industries, Classic Performance Products and several others sell the custom fabricated stainless steel or aluminum tanks, sending units, filler assemblies and associated hardware. I am in the process of doing the swap on my 1966 C-10. Classic Trucks has a tech article on their website, as well. You can determine the ease of installation by reading the tech article. CPP also has a play-by-play tech article on this swap that is very informative. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 313 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 313 | I had the same thing happen to my 1966 C-30. Until I could get another tank, I patched it with a product available at most parts stores. I had to remove the tank, but it was very easy, as long as there is not much fuel in it. I hope you are not a smoker! Doug 57. | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | haha nope, i'm not a smoker. Update: I removed the tank and brought it to a radiator shop. They cleaned it, and welded up the worn-out spot. They did a real good job. I have to put it in. Meanwhile I took the tank from my 60 and put it in. But now its done. I also figured out my gas guage problem while it was out, it was just that the PO had played around with it and the two wires were just backwards. thanks for all the replies!! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 39 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 39 | The Model A I restored had a few pin holes in it. The All Ford parts book I had carries a gas tank sealer that works rill well. I dont remember what it is called. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | For the record, I think por-15 has a gas tank sealing product... other companies have similiar products.
I have not used them myself, but I have read of instances where other folks ont he 'botl have used them.
-W | | |
| |
| |