Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,325 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 | Well I am working on a 1952 1/2 ton five window with my 14 year old son. I like trucks "mostly" restored and of course he likes trucks "slightly" rodded. We are going with original Windsor blue paint on the outside and a 235 for the motor and 3:55 gears in the rear. We are keeping the the suspension original (leaf springs) except the dilema: The leaf springs are shot. We are debating of going with original height springs or with 3" lowered springs from Posies Springs. What are the pros and cons of either original or the lowered springs. What is the ride quality difference? Has anybody used Posies springs before? Any other options? This truck needs to be a daily driver when done. Thanks for your help! ZB3 | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 5 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 5 | ZB3 -
Patricks offers a 2" lowering spring set. I haven't put these on my truck but I have taken a ride in one that did and the ride was really smooth.
Aaron | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | mine is lowered,, smooth ride till you hit a bump, ride is ok on good smooth roades,, ride is stiff with the org front axle,,,,,,,,stance looks good but I would probably stay stock,,,,,,Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i lowered mine and i like the look, go to my community webshots to see the effect, may help. i used lowering springs from fatfendered street rods did not improve the ride. the front is a pacer IFS. RON
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 61 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 61 | wow that looks awesome man. after looking at that i would say lower it unless it was gona be a daily driver or anything like that. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | all we have are daily drivers-----the back of my front fender is 9 inches from the ground,, Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I took 3 leaves out of the spring pack on the back and 4 on the front of my truck. I then relocated the upper shock mounts on the front. I also added a 1" lowering block on the back. It sat a little low on the passenger side so I removed one more leaf on pass. side front. It sits pretty nice. I had to cut off the bump stops but it still bottoms out on a big bump. So I'm gonna take off the entire bumpstop mount. That should give me another inch. It rides great for a straight axle. I also had to staighten out the drag link alittle for the lower angle. I'm pretty happy with the result as it didn't cost very much. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I meant to say it sat a little HIGH on the pass. side. Sorry | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 | I'd drop it a bit, but not too much, and give it a little rake too. Say Bullnose, did you think about maybe removing a bit of weight from the drivers seat first? 
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 147 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 147 | Take it down, take it way down...  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 | Hey, Thanks for the responses. The Posies springs say they will drop the truck 3" in the front and 2-3" in the back. Our roads in central and eastern Oregon are a mixed bag with some rougher dirt and gravel roads to the killer fishing spots. But life is full of compromises! Everybody have a terrific day, ZB3 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 | Hey, Thanks for the responses. The Posies springs say they will drop the truck 3" in the front and 2-3" in the back. Our roads in central and eastern Oregon are a mixed bag with some rougher dirt and gravel roads to the killer fishing spots. But life is full of compromises! Everybody have a terrific day, ZB3 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | oh,your truck will love those gravel roads,, Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 158 | I'm not a fan of the "nose high" stance, so I plan to drop front only. Just not sure whether I'll do it with springs or a dropped axle.
Cheers, mark. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 113 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 113 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 454 | Gotta be a contrarian here. Why have a truck if you don't want it to look or function like a truck? Just one man's opinion.
Jeff Nelson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 | how about air bags or air shocks???? Then you can have it both ways.
dan-pa
| | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | ^ is that your burb toomany2count? Looks sweet. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 215 | looks more like 3/4 ton windowed panel | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | I never personally cared for the "my wheels are drowning in my wheelwells" look, and i've on at least one occasion had a hearty laugh when I saw a lowered truck get stuck on railroad tracks.
I've seen Kirby vaccume cleaners sit higher than some of these lowered trucks.. and I just don't get it.
But there are alot of things I don't understand, and it all boils down to personal preference.
It's your truck, and you should do whatever YOU like.. you're the one who has to drive and use it.
Both my trucks were built close to 60 years ago and used like trucks. The fact that they're still around is a testement to the fact they were built right the first time.. I don't see any sence in fixing whats not broke.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 63 | Nobody has really said what lowered springs ride like (with out lowering blocks) except the Patricks. I am mainly looking for an "economical aproach" for a better ride. I have a 1989 chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 for the heavy hauling truck stuff. The '52 is for working a father/son project before he grows up and is gone. (The truck stays of course!!!!) I am not a real fan of trucks that are slammed to the ground but I like the looks of moderately lowered, but if the ride goes to crap then stock height is fine. I have never ridden in an AD truck before. My vintage truck experiences are a '36 Chevy I had in high school and 40's and 50's Internationals which all were great truck but RODE like trucks. Thanks for all of the responses, ZB3 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 | So I hear that you lose suspension travel with lower springs but what about a dropped axle...wouldn't you keep the same travel as stock suspension with that??
Blue 50
1950 3100 w/57 235 Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 82 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2005 Posts: 82 | Ok, here's my 2 cents. My '49 has a 3" dropped I beam from Mor- Drop in Oakland CA that I put in about 25 yrs ago. Stock springs, with teflon liners makes for a fairly smooth ride. That gives me some drop - not too radical - with full stock suspension travel. The rear is a 12 bolt with about a 2" block under it. No need to c-notch the frame. If you want, I can put a tape on it tomorrow and give you some dimensions. If I had lots of $$$, I'd do an R.B's chassis, Jim Meyer Chevelle front end and Fat Man 4 link in the rear. But that's just my idea of a "perfect" chassis.
1949 chev 3100 3 window. 350hp/327/m21 4 spd, 12 bolt rear, power brakes, 3" dropped axle from Sid's. Disc brakes next.
| | |
| |