The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Bisbee, Rusty Rod), 115 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,437
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
I want to install a 84 Camero T5 in a
54 3/4 Ton with the 4:57 axle.

Because of the location of the T5 shift lever,I'm thinking of maybe splitting the seat bench 50-50 or thereabouts, making room in between so as to make room for the shifter which is located pretty far back from the stock location. I guess I'd have to reinforce the seatframes underneath.

Anybody done something like this?

That is, adapt the bench seat or maybe install something else in order to clear the T5 shifter.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Carl W. Goss,

I cannot answer your question, but will ask one. You already own the Camaro T5, and its shifter is near the back. Aren't there identical boxes with the shifter location much more forward...S-10 has this setup I think.

Stuart

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
I read where someone changed the tailshaft housing on a Camaro T5 to an S-10 tailshaft housing which has the shifter located further forward. Might be worth checking into.

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
I have read of people using the Camaro guts in a S-10 tranny.


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Like those guys said, it would be very easy for you to get the tail shaft housing from a truck T-5 which has the shifter box at the front of the tail shaft housing and swap it with the one on the camaro t-5. Then you wouldn't have to split the seats because of the tranny.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
It is WAY beyond my upholstery skill level to fabricate new seats by "splitting" the original bench seat. The frame would be a matter of looking at how the mounting "sides" were made and reproducing them so you had your "split" bench". Buy a discarded seat frame would be the easiest. If you wanted to put completely different seats in your truck, if you do a search there is a wealth of information to be found.

Try this link for the S10/Camaro transmission
http://www.inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
somebody on this site did this and posted the pix unfortunately i don't remeber who, do a search on the t-5 or seats and you might find it. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
why split the seat? make a "cutout" where the gear shift will be. Take your seat and turn it up side down. Weld some flat metal to the bottom springs, unfasten the uphostery then snip out your recess/cove and then pull the fabric in place....I have not done this personally but seen it done. Think about it!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
I think that's the way to go chip. Thanks to everbody for their input.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
Quote
I read where someone changed the tailshaft housing on a Camaro T5 to an S-10 tailshaft housing which has the shifter located further forward. Might be worth checking into.
just buy the S10 tail housing, install it and BE DONE w/ this seat, new gearshift nonsense


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0