| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
82
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,378 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 | When I bought the headliner for my 37 1 1/2 ton Chevy, information in the catalog indicated that it should be formed using water and ammonia. I have no idea what this process is all about. Can someone please enlighten me. The headliner is die cut and I assume that once it is shaped with the proper radius curves it will reasonably fit in place. I am concerned that it will crease if it is not softened prior to shaping. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks, Ralph | | | | | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 | I believe you spray the solution on the back side of the headliner in the areas that need to bend a little. Just spray enough to make it flex a little, not so much that your headliner breaks apart. Cecil........ | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 | Do you know the proportions for the ammonia water solution? Ralph | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 | Just realized my last post may not be clear. What I am asking is the ratio of ammonia to be mixed with water. Thanks, Ralph | | | | | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 | I will only guess that it's 50/50. Can't hurt, just try not to breath that stuff. It will open up your sinuses and make your eyes water. Cecil........ | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 | Also, get you something to bend it over, like a welding bottle or even a basket ball! It will take to to three people to get it in the truck, the more hands helping the easyer it is. Wet it down as much as you can with out getting the "good" side wet. Bend slow and easy, had some luck letting it dry out after a bend then wet the next area and bending it. You will find the rear corners are a compound bend and will require a good deal of work. Good luck, and let us know how you did. Joe | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 | Well the headliner is done, not the best job but none the less it is behind me. First I tried 50/50, water and household ammonia. Thought I had it wet enough, tried to install it and realized it was still too stiff. Start over again next day. 50/50 water and household ammonia again. This time I thought for sure it was wet enough (as Joe said, those compound curves are tough) tried to install it and still not successful. Decided to see how wet (soft) I could get it by using a hose and letting water run on it for several minutes. Surprisingly, the running water must have removed the ammonia (the headliner was still damp from previous installation attempt) because the headliner actually became more rigid even though it was just short of being immersed in water. Next day I decided to try some higher concentration ammonia that I use for fuming wood. Might be 28%, it is used in making prints (paper, like blueprints). Again 50/50 but with the much stronger ammonia and headliner softened much sooner and to a greater degree allowing me to get it installed. Anyhow this wraps up my experience with fiber board headliners. Ralph | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 | Glad you got done with out passing out! Thats good to know the ammonia worked. Must be something in the board that reacts to it??? I might try another one, I cheated and made a few cuts in mine. Joe | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 31 | Is "CHEATING" allowed? LOL | | |
| |
| |