The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (tclederman, Steelonsteel, klhansen, ndkid275, Nick in Manitou, 1 invisible), 74 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
I’ve been chasing a vibration down for a while now. A bit of background. I have a 1951 3100 with a 1954 235 and a sm420 transmission. I put a new clutch disc and pressure plate on. It also has a 1957 chevy truck open rear end that I changed from 390 gears to 338 gears as well as rebuilt with all new seals and bearings. I had a new driveshaft made and balanced. The symptoms I have are as follows:
1. When starting in 1st gear ( not granny) it seems fine. Shifting to 2nd is ok until I pick up speed and then just a slight vibration. Shifting to 3d is a little vibration until it gains some speed and it vibrates pretty strongly.
2. I live in a house that is up a road 2.5 miles from town and is higher in elevation. When I go to town ( downhill) the vibration is not as bad. Coming back uphill when the engine is under load, the vibration is more noticeable, especially in 3d.
3. Coming uphill with curves in the road, I notice the vibration is less when I’m taking a left curve, more when I take a right hand curve.
4. When I put the clutch in, the vibration stops. When I rev the engine with the clutch in, it seems smooth and no vibration.

I am looking for guidance to solve this issue. I know the collective knowledge here at Stovebolt and would appreciate any and all help. What am I missing?

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 377
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 377
Have you checked the transmission mount?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
The symptoms you're describing are consistent with a vertical misalignment between the transmission output shaft and the pinion flange on the rear end. It might be a good idea to check both with an adjustable bubble level.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,107
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,107
The first thing I would check is the universal joints in the driveline. They can be checked pretty easily with a screwdriver to check for movement between the cross and yokes. If you find any, change out the u-joints. Especially if it was previously smooth and vibration free.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
If you can this, open the hood so you can see the engine while setting in the truck.

Start it up and put in second gear,

While holding the brakes, let out the clutch and see if the engine torques overs, engine may die and that's OK.

Then try it in reverse,

Two quick test of the motor mounts, it should torque over some, but not much.

It does appear to be a " under load " vibration. Driveline angles, u-joints, motor mounts could all be suspects. Does it vibrate as bad on level ground ? Is it the speed or the torque being applied?

The left and right turns don't make much sense, but not driving it myself I don't know.

Put the rear up on sturdy jack stands and slowly run it up to vibration speed. Then have a helper do the same while you watch under the truck from a safe distant ( NOT UNDER IT ! ).

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
I replaced the clutch in my buddies 68 C-10 6cyl 3 spd and had a bad vibration and ended up having to have the clutch and flywheel assembly balanced. It took if I remember right was around 43 grams off the flywheel to smooth it out. Funny thing was it didn't vibrate with the old clutch assembly.


1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 114
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by Snowman51
4. When I put the clutch in, the vibration stops. When I rev the engine with the clutch in, it seems smooth and no vibration.

So you're saying if going 40 mph and you disengage clutch and rev the engine, the vibration is not there? If yes, that to me that points to a mis-aligned clutch disk; or possibly a mis-aligned transmission to bellhousing and/or engine connection. As FAST55 said, could also be a out of balance clutch/flywheel; but I'd say the mis-aligned disk would be the first thing to check. If you can safely put the rear axle on jack stands; do that and slowly engage the cultch and see if the vibration returns as the clutch engages. I doubt it's driveline/rear end related; as these components are still turning when coasting with clutch in and no vibration. Is the SM420 front main shaft bearing in good condition; if sloppy that could cause a vibration under power. Worn pilot bearing a possibility as well. Hope this helps.


Geoff

1955 2nd Series 3600 235 cid, 4 sp. - Current
1979 Chevy K10 350 cid 4 sp -Sold
1955 2nd Series Wide Window 283 cid 3 sp - Totaled
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,107
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,107
Originally Posted by Rusted Nut
So you're saying if going 40 mph and you disengage clutch and rev the engine, the vibration is not there? If yes, that to me that points to a mis-aligned clutch disk; or possibly a mis-aligned transmission to bellhousing and/or engine connection.
Worn u-joints will do the same thing. Vibrate under load and not when unloaded (clutch disengaged.) It's easy to check u-joints, which is why I suggested starting there.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since it’s COLD and windy here and an unheated barn is it’s resting place ,I plan to slowly go through the list sometime later when it doesn’t feel like a meat locker!:). Those of you with heated spacious work spaces have my envy. Any other possibilities, let me know. Always willing to learn.

Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 114
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by klhansen
Originally Posted by Rusted Nut
So you're saying if going 40 mph and you disengage clutch and rev the engine, the vibration is not there? If yes, that to me that points to a mis-aligned clutch disk; or possibly a mis-aligned transmission to bellhousing and/or engine connection.
Worn u-joints will do the same thing. Vibrate under load and not when unloaded (clutch disengaged.) It's easy to check u-joints, which is why I suggested starting there.

Usually bad u-joints show more in lower gears, but good call to check these first as its a lot quicker to check these than pull the tranny first thing.


Geoff

1955 2nd Series 3600 235 cid, 4 sp. - Current
1979 Chevy K10 350 cid 4 sp -Sold
1955 2nd Series Wide Window 283 cid 3 sp - Totaled
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
Just a thought-how deep should the pilot bushing be seated? I replaced one and measured the depth of the crank hole and the transmission pilot and tried to match them. The result was that the pilot bushing was flush with the face of the crank hole. Should it have be recessed slightly?

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Snowman - The Shop Manual shows the bushing installed not quite all the way bottomed out in the crank recess. If yours is situated like the one in the shop manual, it should be right where it needs to be. wink
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
That depth maybe so you get a puller behind it and get it back out.

Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 140
So update- was driving down to town and noticed the vibration was getting WAY worse so I stopped and turned around and headed back. As I pulled into the driveway, I heard a loud bang and then the familiar clanging of a dropped driveshaft. As I looked under the truck I saw the rear u joint had come free. The nuts had come off of the u bolt. The u joint seems ok but I didn’t want to take any chances. I replaced the u joint with new nuts and washers ( I checked the threads on the u bolts and they were in good shape). A quick test drive later, I realized that the increasing vibration was caused by the loose nuts/ possible u joint binding? It seemed to cure 96% of the vibration. When I looked at the u joints, I didn’t look closely at the rear nuts. When I wiggled them, they seemed tight. Oh well, another lesson learned. On to find the last small vibration (s).

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,107
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,107
See, I told you. grin

Glad you got it fixed up.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
I think this has been a very good thread from start to finish and it would be great to hear the rest of the story when you identify the remaining issue. Finding loose nuts on the ujoints brings to mind a practice that I find helpful on critical components is to "mark" each fastener after tightening / torgueing with a paint marker. I use green or yellow. It helps me to make sure that I've did each fastener and because I make a "line" across the head or nut to the attached surface I can see if it's "moved" or came loose later.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0