I have been throwing the Coal to my projects on Thor in anticapation of driving to this event. I just finished the install of the NV4500 O/D Transmission. This should be a good stretch of Thor's abilities.
With all that said, there is a group of us who are going to this Show. It is exactly as the name implies, Trucks at the Farm. Last year was my first time going and I had a blast. This venue is right in Lugnutz backyard, he's only a few minutes away.
This year there are more of us planning to attend, Alvin (Achipmunk), Jay (Lugnutz) and friend Al, Clyde (Dakota38), PaPa Joe and of course Myself. I would love to see some more Folks make it to this event, it truely is a good time.
This is not a GM only Show, there are plenty of other Makes on display, it's a well rounded sample of our Truck Brothers and Sisters are doing...
Hope you can join us
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
We are a week away from this event. Thor is going to make the trip, I have a few things to finish up but nothing that should hold me up.
The drive is right a 240 miles one way for me, it should a good test for Thor. I hope to see a few more of Y'all there.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I wish I could join you guys this year at this event. Karen and I attended this last year and had a great time but as you know, we sold our home in SC and with Karen currently recovering from a knee replacement, so it’s just not possible. We have high hopes for next year as we just purchased a Class A motorhome and plan on touring the country.
Hope you and Thor have a successful trip and great day at the farm!
Last edited by Phak1; 10/24/20252:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Craig, where are you staying? I’m getting my mobility back and about ready for a fall color road trip. But, I won’t know till next week.
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Looking forward to hearing about Thor’s maiden voyage! (And seeing pics)
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery 1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter
Victor, you know I'll get you some pictures. Don , this is just a one day event, no overnight. Phil, you and Karen are welcome at my camp fire anytime.
I have 6 Grandkids and one Great Granddaughter, they expect Poppa to go Trick or Treating with them on Halloween, so heading up Friday afternoon isn't going to happen.
My Son Justin is joining me on this adventure. We are planning to leave Brunswick about 5:00 in the morning, the Show starts at 10:00. I want to take backroads on this first outing.... just in case..
Last edited by TUTS 59; 10/25/20252:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I have the NV4500 OD in Thor, shifts like Butter... still a couple of smaller things to finish up. I'm pretty stoked about the Transmission, the 235 just may not have enough Horses to push it along, someone say 261??Either way I'm going to make the trip this coming weekend...
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Well, we will not be there this Saturday. The wife and I decided to take a fall color tour thru southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas the next 5 or 6 days. No set plans, just some random back roads to Mountain Home, Hot Springs and maybe Eureka Springs. This will be our first trip this year due to a busy summer and a few other issues.
Good luck on your maiden voyage Craig and take plenty of extra tools!
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
We have one day left... Thor has made leaps and bounds towards being roadworthy. The OD Transmission has made a huge difference, Thor will do 65 MPH! I don't intend to keep it at that speed, it feels comfortable around 60, these old Trucks make some funny noises at high speeds.
I'm leaving home about 5:00AM, it's 240 miles one way, so wish me LUCK...
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Craig, whenever you're ready, we can make that "235" into a 270 with 3/8" more stroke. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Well Folks Thor made it to Trucks at the Farm. The trip wasn't without it's hiccups, still having some brake issues, but I'll work through those.
The Truck ran great , the NV4500 shifts like "Butter ". The little 235 holds it's own at speed, I was managing 60 - 65 MPH. The secret was to keep the engine above 2000 RPM in O/D, shifting from 4th at about 3000 RPM proved to be the sweet spot. I only figured mileage on one tank, it worked out to 8.7, Thor is a big Truck...
The trip was 243 miles one way from the House to the Farm. I took my Son Justin along for the ride. We left at 4:45AM, it was 9:30PM when we got back. Long day, but it's all about the adventure.
Last edited by TUTS 59; 11/03/20251:53 PM. Reason: Add Images
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Good to see Thor made a show and made it back home.
Wayne 1938 1-Ton Farm Truck Stovebolt Gallery Forums 1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!