Long Range Desert Group? You mean like Rat Patrol?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I think you are going to miss the 2-speed rear axle after the swap. Do you know that the ratios are for the 2-speed version coming out and the one going in?
The tires on that dually rear end are hilarious. A couple of them look 70 years old.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I think you are going to miss the 2-speed rear axle after the swap. Do you know that the ratios are for the 2-speed version coming out and the one going in?
I'm doing a truck that the LRDG would have had in early 1940. That would be a 1.5 ton truck.
1942 Ford GPW 1943 Ford GPW T33 jet MD500 Little bird Helicopter 1940 LRDG WA truck 1940 LRDG WB truck
Why are you swapping out the two speed, is it busted? That extra 'slower' range provides a lot of versatility. Cool truck either way though. And regarding the tires.. Perfectly Good!!! :-D
Interesting- - - - -that's only the second manual shift 2 speed I've seen since the late 1970s! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Look everyone. I'm building a truck as close to the original one used by the LRDG in 1940 for the North African Desert. All the ones I have seen have had the 1.5 ton axle on them. Therefore that is what I'm using. If you are interested in the 2 speed axle it is up for sale. Here are some pictures of the 40 and 41 chevys.
Last edited by reggiisisadog; 07/02/20259:05 AM.
1942 Ford GPW 1943 Ford GPW T33 jet MD500 Little bird Helicopter 1940 LRDG WA truck 1940 LRDG WB truck