The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Cletus1950, Wayne67vert), 198 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,217
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1566822 12/30/2024 5:15 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Saw a program recently where the restoraton/hot rod hop were installing the Tesla brake system in all of their rebuilds. Apparently they stop on a dime so I imagine an upgrade over the present drums would be in order.
Also read the electric power steering onthe Prius would work on our trucks.
Anyone know anything about this?


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Tesla brakes are not electric. They use regenerative braking to feed some of the energy from stopping back into the battery pack via the drive motors.

The calipers are standard hydraulic units. The rotors are fairly high diameter, but they are off the shelf Wilwood units.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
The only electric brakes I know of are the ones on trailers. They work with an electromagnet system moving the shoes into contact with the drums. I doubt they would really work very effectively on a truck or car, but I'm not really sure.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
Trailer brakes are NOISY! The magnets drag on a flat disc inside the drums and set up an annoying scrub and screech, and a lever arm applies the braking force to expand the shoes against the drums. they're also extremely sensitive to the amount of current applied to the magnet, going from barely slowing the trailer down to wheel lockup with just a tiny increase in voltage to the magnetic coils. I don't think Uncle Sam prints enough money to bribe me to drive a vehicle with all-electric brakes!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
The noisy part isn't a big issue if they're on a trailer --- that's behind you. But it would be annoying if they were on a vehicle. I would always be checking to see what's wrong.
And barely working to wheel lockup is an issue between a loaded and unloaded trailer. The controller needs to be adjusted to match the load.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
How fast are you planning on driving a 75 year old truck? How short of a stopping distance do you need?

I drive my truck at 60 on the freeway and drum brakes stop the vehicle as they should without any fuss or danger. Over 10,000 miles in the last few years. Properly adjusted Huck brakes work well, don't pull or grab, and stopping distance isn't dangerous.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
The power steering setup work pretty good if you spend the money on a good system. I was around some guys who installed a aftermarket Prius type system on a early Corvette. The owner bought the cheaper of the two systems that fit the car, he should have bought the better one! The main issue was the machining of the shaft and spacers, it had so much wobble, the steering wheel even wobbled. One of the installers was a machinist so getting the wobble out wasn't all that difficult, a new coupler and all was good. It was pretty neat, with key off it was just like a stock Corvette, with key on, it took just one finger to turn lock to lock. Just keep in mine, it still had the factory slow steering box, it was just much easier to turn. The Vette steering was just like our trucks with solid shaft from box to wheel, the electric setup, required removing a section of the shaft and a couple of couplers and some work with a file to make flats on the original shaft sections.

The Tesla brakes are just bragging points for those who don't really know much.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
How fast do I drive a 75 year old truck? Years ago on the highway I could cruise at 50 but now city driving is 30. Its not the speed, its the entitled people in their big SUV's who do not believe in stop signs. Or the pedestrians who feel they are invincible and walk out onto a crosswalk when they see you coming. Or the cyclists who now own the road(s) in this city. Stop signs, traffic lights are ignored and hand signals are not part of their mantra.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
I'm right there with you. Driving inside the city limits of Atlanta is a daily game of Dodge'm cars. Nevertheless, I've found that the properly restored and adjusted Huck brakes to function as well as the brakes on any of my other vehicles. They'll stop on a dime at 30mph.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
I recently completed a 4 wheel disc conversion on my 1958 4400 1.5 ton. The issue prior was that even good brakes it would stop but it wouldn't stop NOW.. With the 4 wheel disc and Hydrobooster it stops before NOW. It sure makes driving a 62 year old Truck in today's traffic a dream.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
I suppose I'm the exception. I've never owned any modern cars so driving antique cars is normal for me. I don't overdrive their capabilities and I don't miss what I don't have.

I suppose if I drove modern cars like everybody else, I'd complain about the performance of my antique vehicles. As it is, they perform exactly as I expect them to without any surprises.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
All it takes is one idiot pull out in front of you to change your mind. I don't over drive my truck, it usually never gets much over 50 MPH. The uninsured illegal resident who turned into the path of my friends stock 66 Nova didn't care either.

Last I checked this was the HIPO forum....

Last edited by TUTS 59; 01/02/2025 11:42 PM.

~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
Maybe, but I've been driving only antique cars my entire life in the city of Atlanta and haven't had any brake related problems. I don't overdrive my vehicles and I keep a sharp eye out for potential trouble.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
I'm installing EPAS Performance model specific electric power steering with a Howe 1.5 steering quickener and a 15.5" steering wheel I made from a 56 wheel for the turn signal mechanism. This takes my stock box from the stock 22:1 to a modern 14.6:1. I'm running Wilwood 12.88" ultralight rotors with 6/4 piston calipers. I have a scroll type vacuum pump and duel diaphragm booster because of the blower on my 292. This is a drag and drive build and plan 165 MPH in the 1320 in race mode. I don't like all this drive by wire stuff.
Attachments
steering column 1.jpg (327.38 KB, 74 downloads)
axles 3.jpg (342.94 KB, 75 downloads)
anodized parts 11.jpg (323.36 KB, 74 downloads)
292 new.jpg (395.85 KB, 74 downloads)
anodized parts 4.jpg (504.93 KB, 71 downloads)

Last edited by mick53; 02/06/2025 4:39 PM.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Wow!! I'd sure like to see pics of that engine! Did you make a girdle to shore up the bottom end? Looks like a lot more HP than the Chevy engineers ever imagined for that engine.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,045
Originally Posted by Tronman
Wow!! I'd sure like to see pics of that engine! Did you make a girdle to shore up the bottom end? Looks like a lot more HP than the Chevy engineers ever imagined for that engine.
It's a work in progress. Billet crank, solid roller billet cam and steel billet rods all by Crower. Billet mains dowelled and girdled. 5 stage dry sump. Ryan Falconer V-12 head 340I/220E. 6-71/nitrous. expecting 1200 HP in race mode. I don't want to hijack this post.

Last edited by mick53; 02/06/2025 10:38 PM.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0