The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Oswald, MRMEROTH11, 1 invisible), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,124
Posts1,056,334
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I torched the uprights apart and then rewelded them back together 24 inches deep. Bench top is at 36 inches, I just need to make a decent top out of MDF or something. I snapped this picture tonight after spending all do plumbing air around. Never seem to have the right length of pipe . . . back to the Home Depot tommorrow to get the last couple of pieces of pipe to finish up, then insulation and wallboard.
[img]http://www.kinemation.com/Trucks/Images/newbench.jpg[/img]

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
Lookin' good Ken! Is your shop what they call "post and beam" construction? Jacques


Union, Justice and Confidence
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
Gotta love that old warehouse racking!

I built this cab stand out of some of it..it unbolts to take apart, etc..real easy to move cabs around.

And it was FREE! grin

http://users.eastlink.ca/~randyjewers/stand2.jpg
http://users.eastlink.ca/~randyjewers/stand1.jpg

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Swampcat, not post and beam, but rather Pole Barn construction. Here is a post of progress pics taken while building it - that should give you an idea of the construction. I am kinda slow - I logged the area that this sits on in August of 2000! eek Dug the first post hole in November of 2000. It is easier to forget about how much work you put into something when you take a long time to get it done. The inside is easier because you don't have to work in the rain and cold. smile

shop progress

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Nice looking shop. Bench is really nice--I like the lights. Surprised no vise--most used item on my bench. smile


Buzz'n Half Dozen
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, Buzzin, the vise will come when I put a "real" top on the bench. You can buy MDF in 54 inch widths so that when it is ripped in half it is 27 inches - that is the depth the benches will be when they are done. I'll get two sheets of this and put down as a bench top and then I'll mount the vice.

Mapleleaf - nice cab dolly, looks like you could set the whole truck on that thing without fear of hurting it! :p

Bought a live hose reel at Home Depot last night for $49.00 for a 25ft x 3/8 hose. This is the lowest cost unit I have seen (Ampro) - upon inspection when I got it home it had the "Made in China" sticker on the bottom :rolleyes: It is defitely a world economy.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 23
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 23
Ken, is that part of the Rugo restoration on the floor there? Shop looks like it's comin' along well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yup, Rugo is going to show up Sunday am and we are going to fire off the diesel burner hooked to a pressure washer and see if we can clean it up without scalding each other grin Then POR15 it and start on the springs. . . at some point we run out of things to take apart and it will start to go back together.

Air plumbing should be done on Sunday too - get to see where all the leaks are :o Bought the MDF today and ripped it in half for the benches. Also picked up a 6in Wilton vise - $69.00 at Lowes. The 5 inch vise I have mounted in the garage was like $179.00 (Made in USA) . . . the $69.00 vise said Made in China to Wilton specifications. I compared the two and only noted that the US made vise had carburized crank handle and swivel clamps while the asian one had chromed mild steel handles. Castings look the same weight - time will tell.

I will start hanging ceiling joists next and hanging sheetrock - that will brighten it up. Soon the split in labor between the shop and the trucks will swing more toward the trucks! smile

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
Buzzin, you're not looking closely enough! Ken has a vice on that bench...it's the brown bottle just to the left of the center posts on the top shelf! Looks like one of them light beer bottles!

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Kook--

Thanks for correcting me. Apparently Ken is going to get rid of the bottle vise and replace it with some chinese rig. Whatever lights your fire-- but; I'm not a proponent of chinese vises. My old man has an original Wilton vise(note: American made)from the 1940's which is fine for wood working but not a serious vise for metal work. Real vises are made by Emmert and Oliver and literally operate as a third hand. Jaws are a foot wide and open eighteen inches. I have an Oliver patternmakers vise (1920s vintage) and wouldn't be without it--spins through 360 deg and can be moved to any angle relative to the bench. This vise is heavy--weighs 90 lbs but once you have worked with one nothing else will do. Emmert turtleback is the same weight and same vise for that matter.

Also have a 5 inch blacksmiths post vise made in the mid 1800s--no known manufacturer. Real good for filing, bending metal, beating stuff and holding items for welding. My dos pesos--good vises are indispensable--especially if you are fooling with old iron. smile


Buzz'n Half Dozen

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0