The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155278 10/05/2007 4:14 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
ok got double jointed and pulled my vacume wiper motor from my loadmaster last night, opened up the case, not too bad but sticking, got it all cleaned out and fresh, now... what lube do i use on the flapper?????


nothin like ol' Chevy iron..keep it goin

1948 Chevy Loadmaster Flatbed
#155279 10/05/2007 5:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
48loadmasterguy,

I have heard petroleum jelly...Vaseline, works OK, but for some reason, I thought I remembered that a little brake fluid would do the trick too.

Probably anything that's compatible with the flapper material..I wonder if it's natural rubber. What does a "wiper motor lube" search turn up?


Stuart

#155280 10/08/2007 11:40 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Arent those flappers leather?
I also heard to use Vaseline.
Marty

#155281 10/09/2007 12:37 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Be careful using brake fluid on anything.
My guess it that neatsfoot oil should work just fine.

From an article by Bob Adler in October 2004. Vintage Truck:"Make Components Last Longer"

"Vacuum wipers aren't known for Herculean torque, but you can grow fond of the hissing and flip-flop sounds vacuum motors make. Periodically, squirt some motor oil into the wiper-motor air intake (a pinhole near the valve-tripping mechanism, not the rubber hose going to the intake manifold) as the wipers are operating. This will help to seal the moving paddle to optimize power.

Tim

#155282 10/09/2007 2:24 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Hey 48, I have used vaseline in the past on the leather and it worked fine. I would think any leather treatment should also work. You just need to get the leather supple again. By the way, got the emblems and the kid didn't pee, thanks!


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
#155283 10/17/2007 2:43 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
The wiper is leather..When I rebuild wipers, I use
Assembly Lube and the wipers work great with low vaccuum and at 0 deg. temp, snowing like crazy...


Geoff


68 GMC 3800
56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
#155284 10/17/2007 2:46 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
I fergot, the gaskets are really thin and can't get
the thin paper at flaps..found some in my old collection of papers..A guy I know who rebuilds vaccuum wipers says not to use silicone on the gasket, just a thin coat of grease..


Geoff


68 GMC 3800
56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0