The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, John Dlugos, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Oswald, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1547783 05/23/2024 1:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
When sitting at a traffic light, is it better to leave the vehicle in neutral with one foot on the brake, or leave the vehicle in first gear with one foot on the brake and the other foot on the clutch?

I guess the real question would be does the truck and /or it's components know the difference or care?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
I've been taught that foot on clutch makes the throw out bearing work. So if I know it's a long light I will put it in neutral and hold the brake


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
That's typically what I do. This morning while driving oOl' Roy to work and sitting at various lights, I started pondering that question.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Yes, the TO bearing spins anytime the clutch pedal is depressed. That also puts a load on the back end of the crankshaft main bearing with the thrust flange on it. Neutral and brakes applied at a long stoplight is a really good idea.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Something I’ve been wondering for quite some time, but as soon as I consider going into neutral, the light turns green. Argh!


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
cmayna #1547802 05/23/2024 5:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
Originally Posted by cmayna
Something I’ve been wondering for quite some time, but as soon as I consider going into neutral, the light turns green. Argh!


Your driving a truck older than most of the drivers behind you (some of them combined together are not old enough)

NO one is expecting you to light it off the line when the street tree goes green smile .

sling it in neutral smile

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
And, I’d much rather install new brakes than I would a new clutch 😁


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
Put it on neutral, wait out the red light.
I’ve been watching for the intersecting light to turn yellow since I was a teen; thinking drag racing thoughts.
Modern traffic lights are harder to view from the side, but I still watch for that yellow ; gets me off the line in a timely fashion.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Or keep your eye on the pedestrian countdown clocks.

As far as taking off the from the line, several times I've had the person behind me slam on his or her brakes to keep from rear-ending me as I shifted from granny gear to 2nd. These tailgating retards around here have no clue how 75 year old, 3 speed transmissions work.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
Otto,
I usually always start in 2nd gear for that exact purpose. . Unless on a good hill.
Do you always start in 1st? Just wondering.
Todd


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Yes, generally all the time. Starting off in 2nd doesn't satisfy my OCD.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
Awww. OK..
Makes sense Sir!


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Aside from decreasing the risk of being rear-ended, is there any advantage to starting off in second?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
Otto,
for me: on FLAT ground starts, 1st gear with the stock 4-11 rear gears is a waste of time (Too low), Unless on a hill.
Then it makes it simple shifting (For me) up and down (2nd & 3rd). I hardly ever use 1st gear. Maybe just me.
Todd


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Otto, are you driving a SM-420 4-speed or a standard 3-speed? SM-420 is normally driven starting in second gear unless loaded or on a very steep hill where the 3-speed always gets started in first gear to reduce clutch slip.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #1548038 05/27/2024 3:36 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
His post said it was a 3 speed, but he also referred to first gear as granny gear. I've always heard that term used regarding a 4 speed.

I myself would always start a 3 speed in first, and a 4 speed in second, unless the truck was loaded.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
With all of the manual tranny's I've driven, I almost always slide it into neutral just before coming to a stop if I anticipate having to wait for a light, and if I'm not trying to accelerate quickly I will upshift without the clutch. That won't work with my Harley 'cuz it has to be in 1st before you can find neutral.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Mike B #1548046 05/27/2024 12:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Originally Posted by Mike B
Otto, are you driving a SM-420 4-speed or a standard 3-speed? SM-420 is normally driven starting in second gear unless loaded or on a very steep hill where the 3-speed always gets started in first gear to reduce clutch slip.

Mike B smile

It's a three on the tree. I always thought low 1st gear was granny gear.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Or keep your eye on the pedestrian countdown clocks.

As far as taking off the from the line, several times I've had the person behind me slam on his or her brakes to keep from rear-ending me as I shifted from granny gear to 2nd. These tailgating retards around here have no clue how 75 year old, 3 speed transmissions work.

Point of order–-
Granny gear in a 3 speed? My morning coffee session is now unsettled.

Last edited by Gdads51; 05/27/2024 1:40 PM. Reason: fix quote
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Folks, this has been an interesting conversation with a good topic. The question has pretty much been answered on what may be best operation for the life a trucks engine/driveline pieces while sitting at a stoplight and waiting to give it some go juice. Whatever way you all chose to operate your truck, do what works for you, but we're veering off into turning this into mostly chit-chat about the terminology used. Time to move on to another subject please and thanks. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0