The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (LAROKE, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, tclederman), 73 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,347
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Had the 37 out for the first time this year and it seemed like the cab shrunk,I know I need to loose some weight and will be doing some modifications so I can fit it it and put those in the appropriate sections when it happens. This got me to thinking about passing it down to a younger and thinner member of the family but would happen in a few years as I still need to find a truck I can fit in better.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I raised the seat on one of my trucks, helped with space.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Ed,
I think it sounds like Jeff needs to lower his seat or install shorter/softer seat springs. This happens to so many of us as we get up there. Thus why I walk 6-7 miles a day. It keeps my truck happy


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
I think raising the seat would increase leg room/distance to pedals, but lowering seat, or installing a tilt steering column, would gain belly room.


1957 Chevy 3200
Daily Driver
PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights.
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,946
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,946
Jeff, A peek at your interior picture (copied and added below for ease of access) from your Gallery Page shows just how little extra room there is in your 1937 Truck. If you do make changes, maybe consider something that may be more temporary than permanent. Or at the least, hang on to what you take out to change so it might be easily returned to the current condition. wink
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I have some changes in mind.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Originally Posted by Jeff Ogden
Had the 37 out for the first time this year and it seemed like the cab shrunk,I know I need to loose some weight and will be doing some modifications so I can fit it it and put those in the appropriate sections when it happens. This got me to thinking about passing it down to a younger and thinner member of the family but would happen in a few years as I still need to find a truck I can fit in better.
Attachments
cvphoto8907.png (473.47 KB, 134 downloads)


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,946
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,946
Jeff, Perhaps your conversation may better fit into the Interiors forum??? I've moved it to that forum for further discussion. wink

Last edited by Gdads51; 05/22/2024 1:22 PM. Reason: edited to move thread

~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
Does the truck in question have the gas tank inside the cab? I've often wondered why more guys don't relocate it, simply because these trucks were designed when guys were 5'6" on average. That extra 3-4" of room might make a big difference.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
The gas tank in my ‘52 is behind the seat. When the seat is back as far as it can go, the seat frame bumpers are touching the back of the cab. So even if I removed the tank, it wouldn’t buy me any room.

I’ve heard that an upholsterer can tie the springs back a bit to gain some room. That is what I’m going to try when I get to that point. I’m not sure if the ‘37 is the same way but it may be something to consider.

Last edited by Phak1; 06/16/2024 1:33 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0