The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1535246 02/02/2024 6:57 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Chevy 250 IL 6. 4 run short bursts like 1 maybe 2 minutes the 1 st day just to see the timing with the strobe. After putting the radiator in yesterday & getting the hoses on today. I poured 2 gallons of antifreeze on it, then I heard water pouring out from motor dripping out on the manifold flange. I isolated where it’s coming from and I think it’s bad. A stream of water is shooting strait out from what appears to be beneath # 3 intake/ exhaust stud.
Cracked head?
It has not been used since refurbished last summer. Guess I should notify the shop mechanic.
Attachments
IMG_7540.jpeg (66.36 KB, 312 downloads)
IMG_7538.jpeg (106.95 KB, 308 downloads)
IMG_7535.jpeg (220.47 KB, 306 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/02/2024 7:16 PM.

1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
I just spoke with the shop machinist. He thinks there is a freeze plug in that area in the head. Ever heard of that?

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/02/2024 7:15 PM.

1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Three of them if I remember correctly.


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Your first picture shows the freeze plug pretty clearly, even if it's out of focus pretty badly. I'd suggest changing all of them while you have the manifolds off. Use brass plugs if you can find some the right size- - - -they don't rust out.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Thanks Jerry! Darn frustrating. The machinist should have replaced those i would have thought (for the money it cost)!
Hopefully I can get her torn down again soon.
Do these go in with any sealer or something?
At least I won’t have to pull the head off!

Last edited by glennj3; 02/03/2024 1:49 AM.

1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
glennj3 #1535279 02/02/2024 11:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
What did the machinist do for you?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
He serviced the head last year in preparation to rebuild the motor.

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/03/2024 1:57 AM.

1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Put a thin coating of RTV on the new freeze plugs. It will seal the plug also help the plug go in smoother.

George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
The little culprit😖 I hope they are readily available locally.
Attachments
IMG_7550.jpeg (160.83 KB, 187 downloads)
IMG_7558.jpeg (99.72 KB, 188 downloads)

Last edited by glennj3; 02/04/2024 12:02 AM.

1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
What size is it ?


1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original.
Some of this story is in the Side Lot
Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by fattboyzz
What size is it ?
The ones I removed had no size or #. The local parts store had ones close but too small. Another across town had 1 that actually fit. It Dorman 555-016! 2 others coming in tomorrow afternoon.
I put the one in and it looks satisfying for me!
Just bothered that the machinist was paid $400 to do a routine head service last year and he didn’t change those out.


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Thanks George. I put the one in with blue RTV. Nice tight fit. I get the other 2 in tomorrow.

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/05/2024 2:44 AM.

1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Is the old one rusted out?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
The one that was leaking was. See the picture. Perfect small hole. None of them was easy to remove though.


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by fattboyzz
What size is it ?

Sorry I thought I’d posted. .016
Nice tight fit.


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0