The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153151 06/10/2007 5:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I am new to world of Big Chevy's. My first question is why do you call them Stovebolters?? I searched the FAQ and looked around some but mostly in the big truck section. I just brought home a Chevy dumptruck. From what I have already learned it is a 60-62 because it has the torsion front end. The number on the inside of the drivers door frame is 2CE23S104642, and the engine code is W-4. Can anyone tell exactly what year and motor I have?? I will be trying to post a pic right now.


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021
#153152 06/10/2007 5:37 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021
#153153 06/10/2007 5:55 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
62 or 63??

#153154 06/10/2007 6:13 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
This was how I got it home. The tow bar worked good and I only had to go a couple of miles.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/Ibendcars/DodgepullingDumptruck.jpg
Ok I am thinking 62 then because of the Torsion fron end from what I have been able to learn so far about this thing.
I am wanting to know what engine I have so I can change the oil and get a fuel pump.


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021
#153155 06/10/2007 4:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Someone threw away a perfectly good truck! Very convenient that they put a tow bar on there for you! Nice get.

#153156 06/10/2007 7:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
IBenDcars
Nice find I really like it. I hope you UnBenDtrucks ha ha. May want to check out http://www.6066gmcguy.org/ lots of info on your truck there and will be plenty of help coming along here too.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#153157 06/10/2007 7:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Sorry the site that I posted is a GMC site it should have some usefull info anyway.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#153158 06/11/2007 5:52 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
Going by the cowling emblems, I'd say it's a '62.


1947 Chevy 6400 Wrecker

Old Stovebolts don't leak oil
They just mark their territory
#153159 06/11/2007 9:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I know that truck!!
I saw it when I was coming in from Spring Creek and stopped to look it over. It has a W block,either a 348 or a 409,couldn't tell which without seeing the casting #. they use the same filters and accessories. I think I know where there's a 3X2 intake manifold for it too,as if you need THAT...It is a '62;I know because I drive a '62 one ton.
BTW-do you want to part with the tow bar? Email me.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#153160 06/12/2007 4:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
OK now why do they call them Stovebolts??? I did what everyone on this site asks for which is post pics, so a little more payback by answering me. Thanks for the responses so far.


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021
#153161 06/12/2007 4:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
The old trucks were built with stovebolts....


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos
#153162 06/12/2007 12:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
OK what is a stovebolt then? If you used the same bolt to build a stove then built a truck with it wouldn't it be a truckbolt? Not trying to be a smartass but wanting to know what makes the bolts special or what?


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021
#153163 06/12/2007 4:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
A stovebolt is a 1/4-20 threaded bolt. Seems Chevy was really fond of using this size bolt on a lot of stuff back then, especially valve covers, side covers, oil pans.....

Hope this helps

Willy


1947 Chevy 6400 Wrecker

Old Stovebolts don't leak oil
They just mark their territory
#153164 06/13/2007 5:04 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Ok that answers the stovebolt thing. Thanks. How do I tell what size my truck is. It says 80 on the fender does that make it a 2-ton or five ton or what?


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021
#153165 06/13/2007 3:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Actually, a "stove bolt" is a 1/4"X20 slotted-head screw, or a round-head 10X24 machine screw. Chevy used a bunch of them to assemble their engines back in the 30's, 40's, and early 50's. The common name for a Chevy engine during that time was "stove bolt six".

Welcome to the funny farm!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#153166 06/18/2007 5:46 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Well I spent longer than I wanted to getting up close and personal with my big bolt but after chipping away an inch of oil and crud I got to the block casting numbers and I have a 348 for an engine. I also have a good clutch master/slave cylinder. I guess the friend I had helping bleed the clutch didn't push hard enough or something because it worked for me today. SPEED I will get that slave cylinder back to you whenever you get back into town or whenever. I was working on the brakes and it started to get dark. I had the wife out to pump the brakes and I think they will be ok. I will find out next weekend if all the fluid leaks out by then. I am pretty excited about hopefully driving it next weekend.


My new 1949 Chevy One Ton Dump Truck. Still have it but parked, needs a new motor.
1953 2 ton parts truck Long Gone
1957 GMC LCF On 75 Cadillac Eldorado Frame
Updated Feb 2021

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0