I am looking for an engine mount kit for a 6 cylinder but only see sets for V8s that include the brackets ($144.) I also see rubber cushions, flat washers, and shoulder washers sold as a set without the studs (bird legs.) Does anyone know who sells the rubber cushions, flat washers, shoulder washers AND studs?
Engine is now rebuilt and sitting as a long block. Things are progressing.
Make sure you ask for "TRUCK" studs which are 7.5" long...Cars look the same, but are only 6" long. The cushions, retainers and washers are the same for cars and trucks.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
I didn’t know that there was a difference. Thanks Mike B. I then measured the original studs that I have and yup, they are 7.5 inches.
So,…I emailed several vendors and despite having studs listed under TRUCK parts, all of them said that they carried the 6 inch studs. I’m not going to bother asking any of the tri five car sites because it appears they all use the same vendor (the giveaway is that the photos are identical).
I’m still on the hunt for the elusive 7.5 inch studs.
Here's one stud on eBay based on the part number from your diagram. Link
That might get you part way there.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Finally, success. The “Truck Shop Car Shop” in Orange CA now sells truck bird legs for $14 each. You won’t find them in their catalogs because they started carrying them after the catalogs were published and posted online. They are also offering them on eBay at $28/pair under the name “truckshop_oc”.
I phoned them and before I committed to buy I asked the sales clerk to measure them. He said they are a smidge over 7 3/8 inches. Close enough!! The part number is T118KE and are manufactured by Counterpart Automotive.
Is there something unique about them that would prevent someone from simply making them out of a piece of round bar? I never cease to be amazed at how helpless most people act when a "kit" doesn't appear to be available. Of course, I've been making things fit for 65+ years as the middleman of 5 generations of mechanics. From my grandfather to my grandson, we've got 100+ years in the business of making cars, trucks, boats, tractors, construction equipment, industrial equipment, and airplanes do what they're supposed to! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Awesome place. It’s worth the visit even if you don’t buy anything. I felt like a kid in a candy store until I payed my bill! Here is a link.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Achipmunk - I would, but wrong Concord. I'm quite bit further North in New England.
Jerry - Your killing me. Com'on, fabricating stuff is alive and well, you just gotta pick your battles. I'm not a machinist nor do I have the machinery necessary to fabricate these mounts myself. And probably most people don't either. My brother, who is a machinist, offered to fab them if I couldn't locate them. I also have access to my companies machine shop where we prototype a lot of stuff. The guys know me well and enjoy fabricating and helping me repair/restore parts. They have helped me with well more than dozen "unobtainable" parts over the last 30 years. But again, you gotta pick your battles. I knew that the truck mounting studs had to be selling out there someplace as separate items and not only in a kit with V8 engine brackets for well over $100. And eureka, I found the place, but they don't advertise them in their catalog. You have to phone them and ask. So I've shared this info here on the site.
As far as fabricating, I purchased the steel and reached out to a friend who bent it for me in his shop, to fabricate a rear crossmember that is "unobtainable" in a parts catalog. I have laid out the holes, drilled them out, test fitted, scuffed it and now it's ready for paint. I'm also in the middle of fab'ing some small plates for the axle bumpers because the originals were nearly non-existent (rusted through) and I could easily bend them. I probably could have just stuck a big fat fender washer under the head of the bolt, but hey..... See, fabrication is alive and well in this hobby. Cheers to you.
This is the first that I’d heard of them. I wish the shop was closer so I could browse too. Their catalog is quite extensive and when I did a price comparison with 3 other vendors (for parts that I need) I discovered that they beat the competition on every part! And sometimes by a fair amount. I’ve already made a wish list!
Their inventory is just like all the other venders but as you said, the price was good or better then the others. The best part was I didn’t have to wait! I usually winter in SC which is about three hours away, so I look for excuses to make trips to that area. That is also where I bought our truck in 2019. My wife likes to go to Ikea which is close so we’ll combine trips.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
I just like to stir the pot, I guess. I'm in the process of fabricating a torque tube ball pivot to fit the back end of a Saginaw 3 speed transmission, and part of it is the rear transmission support for a flathead Ford transmission from the 1940s. It's probably going to be simpler and less expensive than the custom cast Saginaw rear housing Patrick Dykes used to sell. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!