The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (wvstovebolt, 50Chevy3100, Red75bronco, 66flea, Gray_Ghost), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152321 04/29/2007 10:40 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 26
M
MJD
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 26
:p

Hello -- I am new here..I have been interested in the 1947 to 53 trucks since learning to drive about 1957 or so. I used to have a slug of these pickups, but alas...not now.
I just got ahold of a 1950 Chev. 6400 model with rear hoist and a 12 foot box. smile
Guys, can you help me in finding the repair kit for the drag link, on this size truck ? I don't think they are the same as the pickups, are they ? ohwell
I'm sorry if this may have been asked before, but I need to make this '50 a bit more safer, so I can use her, and restore a bit too.
Thanks so much for any assistance. I also have some old Farmalls I use. These tractors were great to learn on too ........ grin
I hope to hear from some of you, again, thank you !!
I am in Wyoming ...... smile

MJD

================================================

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
Welcome to the bolt. glad to see you found the place. don't have your answer but just wanted to say welcome. lot of good info to be had. i'm sure someone will be along to help you out.


Drive with Pride. mike j
family pic
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
MJD I had the same problem with mine the ball stud on the piman arm and the cups in the drag link were severley worn and actually poped off
just as i pulled into the gravel pit.I bought
My parts from mid canada suspension, got the ball
stud and the kit to repair both ends of the drag link for about $75.00. here is the manual reference to show the assembly. hope this helps
DS
http://chevy.tocmp.com/1929_54chevyparts/06/411.HTM
Oh yeah the ball stud is not welded into the pitman arm it is peened into place. a grinder and a large diameter drill bit will make short work of the peening.

#152324 05/01/2007 11:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
Welcome aboard MJD! I also have a 6400, but I can't answer your question cause I haven't gotten that far yet. You have surely come to the right place for help. Plenty of guys in here with the know-how for the big bolts.

~Ron

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Sounds like D Sinclare has your question covered. But I wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you as well, as another 6400 guy.
Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
We got a new link, complete from Jim Carters for around $75. If theres a differance in the big and little trucks, I cant see it, as it fit right on and is perfect.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 26
M
MJD
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 26
Hello Gentlemen,

Very pleased you all answered !! I have found out thru you and Obsolete Chev. Parts in Georgia, that these drag links are all the same.
From the 1/2 ton up to 2 ton. Of course, I am not driving this farm truck a whole lot...a few chores, haul gravel, dirt, but look good doing it...... HA HA
They are so nice to get in better shape I feel.
Anyway, I took this old drag link off and the balls are 1 inch. The balls that the drag link connects to.
Now, I also hope to find the "sheen gray metallic" paint for the cab interior color ! :rolleyes:
I appreciate it very much your time and help. Love to see and read of these great trucks and pickups. Maybe someday I can show you a picture of it here ?
I will have to figure out the image thing.
Thank you Chevy people - - - grin
Really appreciate it ..........


smile

#152328 05/05/2007 12:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
MJD - make sure ya check out the 'Links' section for parts sources.

Look at the very top of this page and you will see |Links|

check out the parts and truck sites links.

-W


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0