The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Been driving my '46 since 1985. I finally broke a leaf in my driver's side front spring, and the passenger side is looking pretty tired too. I've got a 235 so back in the late 80's when I last messed with broken leaf springs, I had them add an 8th leaf instead of the 7 that's normal. Going to do that again. I'm in the process of removing the springs, which seems pretty simple. My question is whether I need to torque the U-bolts back on when I put the rebuilt springs on. If so dry torque to what? Tha nks for any advice.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
You definitely need to torque U-bolts. In fact most spring shops recommend NOT reusing U-bolts. I don't know what the spec is for a '46, but the spec for u-bolt torque for AD (47-53) 1/2 ton trucks is 75-90 ft-lb. I would suspect that a 46 would need the same. But someone will likely come along with a definite torque number for you.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
Just replace them, they stretch when torqued, and the more times they come on and off the more they stretch. Trailer shops have the 1 3/4" u-bolts.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
And retighten them after first several trips.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Right now I'm wrestling with getting the big bolts at the rear of both springs off. They are ON THERE, and don't want to give up! Thanks for the advice on the U-bolts - I'll replace them.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
OK, got everything apart and the springs are really bad. Cracked leaves on both sides. Lucky to identify the issue at home and not on the side of the road. I took them to a local spring shop that used to fabricate springs. They don't anymore. No point in trying to rebuild these - looks to me like failure from metal fatigue. I've seen new springs on a couple of antique parts sellers, but I don't know where they're made. About $250 a pop. I've had bad luck with some Chinese repro parts in the past - substandard metallurgy. Do any of you know of a good source for springs? I used 8 leaf springs when they were replaced back in the 80's (usually 3/4 ton application). I'd like to replace with the same. Thanks for any ideas or leads you can provide.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Eaton-Detroit


https://www.eatondetroitspring.com

Made in USA


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Thanks, Otto. These are a bit more expensive than others Ive seen, but I'm willing to pay more for American-made quality parts. Had the truck since 1985, so it's way too late to cheap out now. Guessing shipping is pretty expensive as well.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
David, I just noticed you live in Decatur. I also have a Decatur address, although I live in the East Atlanta / East Lake area off Flat Shoals road.

Where are you?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
I'm off North Druid Hills Rd. Looks like you've got quite a collection. Let's get together and drink a beer sometime.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
I have springs made by Detroit Spring under my '37. They made custom spring rates to match the weight of the truck, it rides way better than it did with stock springs, I don't use it for a truck, just for cruising around. I was willing to pay more for custom made, I know they make them in Detroit, no idea where they get their steel from.

Joe

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I had springs made by them. I have an AMC Pacer front suspension and I wanted a new coil springs, 2-inch lowered. What I did not know was that were already 2 inches shorter and they took 2 more off. It would scrape the center ridge on a gravel road. I don't think they made it right but I do have the original length now.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Checked my old parts catalogue and the 46 and 47 springs are not the same, unfortunately. Real shame because the link you sent has them for a 47 for about $175 each. Eaton/Detroit chargs $295 each - close to double. Yikes! Plus $120 to ship 2 of them. Anyone else have any suggestions? If not, guess I'll have to swallow hard and pony up.

Last edited by David Bush; 09/22/2023 5:15 PM.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
You might connect with Hotrod Lincoln on here


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
If you have a local spring shop, see what they can do. I bought mine locally, because shipping to Alaska is crazy expensive. Their price was less than I could buy directly and get them shipped to me.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,929
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,929
David,

Here is another source for replacement front springs for 1936-46 Chevy and GMC 1/2 Tons, including an 8 leaf option, for significantly less cost than the Detroit springs. wink

No idea what shipping is as I didn't go down that path, but this looks like a much less expensive "pony" to invest in - lol.

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
When you decide what you want to spend, ask about the spring rate. Since they list them for '36 -'46 they may be generic and not right for any of them. Spend some time at the GM Heritage site looking at the information packets for each year of truck. The '37s used very heavy spring rates, almost twice what the '46 uses. I had a new set of stock springs for awhile, it was so stiff you couldn't stay in the seat. I had it down to 4 leafs out of 7 before it road decent, thats when I went to Detroit Spring. The deflection rate is what you want to look at. Deflection rate is XXX lbs to compress the spring 1inch, less weight, softer springs, better ride. It helps to know the weight on each axle or even each wheel. I used four wheel scales I borrowed from a dirt track racer. Once each corner was weighed, I put the chassis on stands, unhooked the shackles and shocks, and weighed each axle assembly. This gave me the weight of just the truck ( sprung weight ) and the unsprung weight of the axles, tires, brakes, shocks, and 1/2 the springs. A good spring shop will know how to use the information.

Joe

Last edited by Joe H; 09/23/2023 1:15 PM.
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Great information, all. I really appreciate all the input. I talked with the folks at Eaton-Detroit yesterday. Man, they really know their stuff. Got a woman on the line that her daily driver was a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton and she was a wrench as well, doing her own work on it. Although their springs are darned expensive, they a custom make for each order to OEM spec. When you order a spring for a 1946 Chevy, that's exactly what you get. Still mulling this over, but it's a job I only want to do once, so it would be great to get the right parts the first time around.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
I found the same thing when I talked to them.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Can't go wrong with the springs spec'd by the people that designed the truck. Your pictures indicate that it's an original truck and not a custom hot rod so no need to second guess the designers.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Yeah. I pulled the trigger on the Detroit/Eaton replacement springs. Known quality, made in America. Quality is long remembered after price is forgotten. 3-4 weeks to get them - new U-bolts as well.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Good choice. Also, if it doesn't work out, you can take a 5 minute drive down the road and beat me up for suggesting them!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
I got bit by the "might as well" bug. Waiting on the springs to be delivered and thought, "Bet those oil pan gaskets could use a replacement while it's easy to get at it." Put on in 1986, they were like potato chips. $12.50 for the gaskets and $12 for a tube of Permetex Super High Tack. Can't beat it. Got the pan painted too - nobody cares but me, but it's real pretty.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Can anyone tell me how much to torque the large spring end bolts on reassembly? They thread into one side of the spring mount and then have a large nut and lock washer to keep them from rotating out. I'm guessing you torque the bolt in first, then torque the nut and lockwasher on. Any knowledge on this would be really helpful.

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
The bolt requires virtually no torque
Because the spring isn’t suppose to be tight at all
There is a gap by design and sometimes folks like putting rubber or foam washer in that gap to keep the spring eye bushing cleaner
Bottom the bolt snug-ish
And the nut is the lock the bolt in place
The nut can get much more torque I don’t have a spec. I just use my gut feel
The bolt is acting like a pin there is almost no lateral forces on the bolt so it doesn’t need to be tight
If you try to tighten it you might break the spring mount
You can always tighten it more if it comes loose (it won’t)
But if you break that mount you will be sad
-s

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Thanks 2ManyTrucks. I kind of thought that, but wanted to be sure. Looks like the big nut and lock washer are just a lock nut to keep that bolt from turning out. Just got an email from Detroit Eaton springs. Looks like they're about to ship. I will report.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Springs and U-Bolts came today. Very nice - big "Made in USA" sticker on them. Detroit-Eaton were great, sending me progress reports. Surprised me that they had already set the rear bushing and the front shackle pin. Checked everything for fit and it was spot on. I got them cleaned up with a good acetone rubdown and then shot them with 3three coats of black paint. Hoping to reassemble tomorrow. I will update.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Springs in and retorqued after 50 miles. Truck sits about 1 1/2" lower in the front than it did before, but I had 8 leaf springs on the front and replaced them with OEM 7 leaf springs. Truck handles fine and rides a bit better, but I did bottom out going over a speed bump, which I never did with the heavier springs. I'll change my driving habits and be a bit more gentle since I'm not carrying any loads to speak of. Generally pleased with the Detroit Eaton product, but it was pretty darned expensive. That said, reassembly was a snap with the springs fitting perfectly.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Sounds pretty good. Since you'll not be hauling heavy loads, you'll probably like the slightly softer ride.

Ease of installation is always a plus. It was nice to have the bushings installed at the factory.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Post t some pictures of your truck with it's new stance.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
Just curious,
did you really bottom out brand new 7 leaf springs or did they just transmit enough energy thru the chassis to stress everything so it felt like it did?
Seems that would take quite a something (hole) to hit to get bottomed out on new springs, certainly not an expected everyday experience….

Chuck


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0