| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,121 Posts1,056,328 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 | i just checked the gear oil on my 55 dump and it is white and frothy... I am assuming this isn't good, but what is causing it? The engine oil looks OK (black as hell, but no froth). The previous owner blew a head gasket, but claimed he had it fixed. Thanks! | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 237 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 237 | In my experience, water. Could be due to rain leaking in from above, could be due to water condensing in the compartment due to cold / hot changes.
It's definitely not good. Change the oil and hope nothing is permanently damaged beyond repair. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 5 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 5 | It sounds like you've gotten water in the oil. Check the seals and the vent line for any blockages. If you don't have a vent line, I'd plan on adding one. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | ccogg,
It's pretty standard for gear lubes to froth up when the rig has been run. While the foam might appear whitish, the lube itself should remain its natural dark color. Motor oil and water, when mixed will create the often seen 'milkshake'. Is this what you are describing.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | One more vote for water. I'll bet somewhere along its life, the truck has been driven or been in water above the axles. That'll let water in through the vent and sometimes the seals, too. That's why serious off roaders alway carry extra gear lube wiht them if the expect to run in water. Usually, they'll change the oil before they make the trip home in case of contamination.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 | Well I just changed out the oil (it was in the transmission not the rear diff). I filled it with some motor oil I had and drove it around the block, then drained it again (still frothy, but better). Now I am going to fill it with 90w and see how it looks after the next trip.
Where would I look for vents? Any other ideas on how the water got in there? It was very thick and frothy and it just doesn't seem too likely that it was driven that far under water - but of course anything is possible!
Thanks for all the help! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 863 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 863 | Is there a water leak in the cab under the dash? It will usually drip right on the gear shifter and then into the tranny.  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 | I will check the cab - thanks!!! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | you might just have 50 years of condensation built up - no tellin if the trans oil was ever changed, and in a wet climate the alternate heating and cooling would do it for ya
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | My bad. I assumed you were talking axles, not tranny. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the axle, though. The Oil is probably the same age/condition as the trans.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 15 | Actually the axle oil looked fine. I filled the gear box with 90w and drove it a bit. When I checked it this time it was more like milk - it was like whip cream before. I guess I will change it a 3rd time.
Also, it happens to be raining right now and there is no leak apparent under the dash. The window seal leaks, but it doesn't drip on the gear shift. The mystery continues... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 | did the 55 have a vent drain like the 47-54? its a rubber hose that drains the main front vent when it rains, the hose runs down on top of the back of the motor, maybe this could lead water back down and on the trans? 1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal 1964 gmc 4000 1973 gmc 6000 2005 chevy duramax 4x4 1994 chevy 1500 Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange "I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton | | |
| |
| |