The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, Ponchogl, 2-Ton), 126 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,670
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151639 03/20/2007 1:02 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
I set out to change the lube in the rear end of my 1949 4100, single speed rear end. I found the fill plug, but was unable to find a way to drain it. What am I missing? Do I have to remove the rear housing to get it drained. I'm worried about finding a replacement gasket, if I do.

Any ideas appreciated.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Jaskey,

I 'think' you can pull the fill plug, then remove one or two of the bottom bolts from the cover and, voila, out comes the lube. Removing the fill plug acts as a 'mega-vent'. Just put a little silicone on the bolts when you stick them back in.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
I just sucked my fluid out the fill hole. Worked fine. Sure I missed a tiny bit of gunk at the bottom, but got 98 percent of it.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
#151642 03/20/2007 10:05 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I concur with removing one or two of the bottom cover bolts as that is what worked for me. The filler plug will work as an air inlet.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
I think I will try removing a couple bottom bolts, with the filler plug out.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
I pulled off the whole cover just to look at the condition of every thing. Gives me a chance to clean out the gunk in the bottom and blast and paint the cover before using a good RTV and sealing it back up. I had a previous post on the crud in the rearend. No way was that thick stuff coming out by just removing a couple of bolts.


'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
So, you just ran a bead of RTV (silicon ?) around the cover when you put it back on. No gasket?

I like the idea of seeing the condition of everything inside.

Thanks!

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
Yeah, just run a bead of black RTV around the cover, smooth it out around the bolt holes just enough to get about an 1/8" thickness put the cover on and start your bolts. Tighten evenly and wipe off any excess, or wait till it dries and cut any excess with a razor blade. I've done it ton's of times. No leaks. grin


'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
#151647 03/20/2007 10:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks!

#151648 03/20/2007 11:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
Jaskey,
Another old trick to make yer own gasket,if ya dont gottsa new one is to use a cover from a
Pizza Box eek
Not the serrated kind like Dominoes.
The flat one piece sheet that most reg mom an pop stores have! wink
Regards............

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
RTV Will work fine, that's what was used even from the factory on many of the later trucks.


1970 C50 dump! saving orphans from the CRUSHER

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0