The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151221 02/26/2007 12:32 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Greetings fellow Big Bolters,

I'm currently working on an old 1949 1.5t grain truck. I need to inspect and bleed the brakes and I'm having trouble getting the rear drums off. I've removed the wheels, end cap, axle, both threaded retainer rings and I can see the outside bearing (which is loose).

That's where I'm stuck. The drum spins freely, but will not pull off. If it's just stuck, maybe I can get my wife to break it free. Is there a secret pin or lock that I'm missing?

Cartman

#151222 02/26/2007 1:49 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Cartman, the drum may have a ridge worn into it at the inboard end which will allow it to only move a bit before it hits the ridge. See if you can back the shoe adjustment down to clear the ridge, hope that helps.

#151223 02/26/2007 4:43 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Wrench Fetcher,

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of that, but that's exactly what it feels like. As soon as the sun comes up tomorrow, I'll give it a shot.

Cartman

#151224 02/26/2007 4:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Hey Cartman you would be talking to 3B Wrench Fetcher would be his standing on the board. By the way welcome aboard hope 3B's hint helps you out. Good luck and looking forword to seeing you around.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#151225 02/27/2007 4:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
HevyHauler,

I stand corrected; still learning the ropes with the site. 3B's advice solved the problem. With a little adjustment, the drums slid right off. It was my first time on a big truck and I was afraid I'd break something that would be hard (or impossible) to replace.

Thanks.

Cartman


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0