| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,664 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 1,004 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 1,004 | I have a Question about decent used clutches. Recently (like a day ago) I removed to inspect the clutch from an engine and bell housing that I plan to use in a farm truck The clutch is a 10-3/4 inch size for a 1 to 1952 gmc 3 of 6 springs in the clutch disc center are broken but complete No bits fell out So I went looking in the used clutch pile in my shed And most of them all have a broken spring or two Is this actually super normal and I shouldn’t worry about it for a beater farm truck? These disks are not even fully worn out Or should I find a clutch disc with all good springs The engine it’s going on is a 235 and the transmission is the sm420 Thanks for any thoughts or advice -s | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,113 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,113 | I think even for a farm truck, I'd get a replacement clutch disk. All it would take is for a broken spring to slip out of the disk and wedge against the flywheel bolt heads and make it impossible to release the clutch. If you already have it apart, now's the time to put new parts in place.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | . ...and broken will cause chatter. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 1,004 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 1,004 | What causes the springs to break Quality? Or were these abused? Maybe SK roads just make all vehicle things broken. I’ll shop for a new clutch yeah it’s a pain to drop the transmission. Thanks -s | | |
| |
| |