The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nick in Manitou, TooMany2count, klhansen), 120 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,240
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
1953 235 "w/Powerglide" engine. I got a call back today from the machine shop about the 848 head (originally from a '56 235). I took it there to have them look at the valves. #1 cylinder was leaking air past the exhaust valve. I removed that valve and the exhaust valve from #2 cylinder for comparison.
The contact area of the leaky #1 valve was not concentric. The contact area of the #2 exhaust valve was concentric, but the contact area where the seat contacts the valve was not centered on the bevel. It was very near the inside edge of the bevel, which is not right. It should be centered.
The guy at the machine shop says that the valve guides are worn out and need to be replaced. The guides were replaced by this machine shop 22,000 miles ago.
2,000 miles ago, this machine shop did a valve job on this head when I brought it in to have it completely overhauled due to a thrown rod.
He told me today that it needs new valve guides, and that the valves are blue from over heating. He suggested that this was from incorrect timing or from running too lean. There is an overheat indicator on the head which they put on all heads so that they can tell if operator error caused failure. That indicator was intact. The spark plugs with 2,000 miles on them look fantastic, and the top of the pistons look unfazed as well. The #1 piston had extra carbon deposits due to incomplete combustion, but it was not excessive in general.
They had put positive valve stem seals on on this head. I am wondering if those were preventing sufficient oil from lubricating the valve stems. I asked him that, but he does not think so. I have to question that, given that these engines do not spray oil all over the place like modern engines which call for positive valve stem seals do.
Would insufficient oiling of the valve stems cause excessive wear and cause the valves to turn blue from excess heat?
BTW, this engine has never gone past 180 degrees, and I never have to add coolant to the radiator, and I drive it as hard as it was designed to run.
What say you?

Last edited by 52Carl; 08/24/2023 12:50 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,817
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,817
I think its time to find a new machine shop.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
I think its time to find a new machine shop.

x100

If they did a valve job 2000 miles ago and the contact areas are not perfect, they done screwed it up. The fact that they are blaming you is even more sketch.

At least get a new shop, you have grounds to try and get your money back from this one but it might not be worth the effort.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
X2 on the idea that you need a better machinist. I've seen premature guide wear caused by too-efficient valve stem seals, especially if positive stem seals were added to what was already there, such as the O rings in the groove under the split locks. Rather than replace the guides, try to find someone who will ream them out and install bronze guide liners. The liners are available on Ebay, and it's a fairly simple procedure to ream the guides .030" oversize and install the thinwall liners, then ream the liners to the proper oil clearance. The bronze lasts much longer than the original cast iron, especially if they're clearanced properly and used with the right design of oil seals.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
52 Carl None of my 3 OK engines has those hi-powered seals a 216,235 dipper,235 full pressure,they don,t smoke. All3 do get rid of some oil over time just my DD gets run at hiway speed a lot in the 51 6400 pickup, it has all -.002 bearings and keeps the 30 pound original dash gage pegged year round. Only one I've ever seen do that. In your case would put the head back like it came out originally,that might take valve seats,which I know are dangerous in that they can come out and kill your engine but when the seats are deep,the valve springs are weakened,then you shim. We all need a good bronze-wall machine shop !! When I done that for real was about 22 years old,the old mechanics wouldn't trust me,young racers trusted my sleeve and valve work and we had a pretty good circle track ! Ordinary domestic work I had plenty of valve,bore,hot tank,piston work. One other thing those tight seals were to keep oil out of high compression cylinders to prevent detonation,you don't have much problem there. My .02 cents On your 56 head ,not long ago I drove fresh guides in a similar head worked fine,I guess bronze walls would be the safest for your old casting there. Just saw your head was a 56 848.

Last edited by fixite7; 06/01/2023 12:34 PM.
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
I quit using those special valve stem seals 30+ years ago and I abandoned umbrella seals about 20 years ago when I discovered they were no longer made in the USA and they would crack, fall off and make a real mess (which happened in my engine). And once those umbrella seals are gone (assuming you didn't use the O ring type), you get lots of oil running down the valve stem. I've only used the flat O ring-like seals since then and have had no problems. Like Jerry said, you can over-seal them. The bronze liners should be good and if I was to re-do a head today I'd look into those, but if your valves and guides are done correctly and to OEM specs the original style should also be okay. Some people might start throwing rotten tomatoes at me but you can also have your guides knurled and that will help with lubrication of the guide. If you find somebody who knows what they're doing, this isn't a bad choice, but today finding that person may not be easy. It doesn't sound like overheating is a problem. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Not sure what to say about your machine shop.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
A friend of mine built a 56 235. Had the guides replaced with new cast iron guides and PC seals. Over heated the valves and broke a guide.

I myself do not like replacing the guides. So for 46 years, I have always used bronze liners and PC seals. Not one single failure, and I run my 235 and 261 motors up to the 5500-5800 rpm range. But you have to be careful when using PC seals. They can be very efficient. That is why they entered the market. They were way better at oil control then the o-rings and umbrella seals, and they lasted way longer. There is a feel to the valves when they are just a bit too tight with the PC seals. A good machinist has that feel. If its a speck to tight, you polish the valve stems to get a tiny bit more clearance. You need a little oil, but not a lot of oil.

So frankly, if the guides themselves are not damaged beyond use, I would have them machined for bronze liners. Get some new valves, and a new machinist. Today's Serdi machines do a three angle valve job in one single cut. Get the new valves faced to match the seats, seats cut, and new PC seals with the caveat that the machinist has to check to make sure the seals are not to tight, not too loose but like Goldilocks, just right.

Last edited by Dragsix; 06/01/2023 3:33 PM.

Mike
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,688
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,688
Dragsix, just out of curiosity…why do you prefer the bronze liners to the bronze guides?


1951 3100
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
I agree. Sounds like you need another machine shop. The fact that #1 exhaust is not concentric tells me that either the valve head wasn't ground concentric or the guide is offset. If it was wear the sloppy guide would let the valve find home and still be concentric. I've seen guides so loose that you could move the valve and spring back an forth 1/4 inch or more, yet they still sealed compression, more or less.

It's unlikely but possible that the guide was machined off center but they would have discovered that when they ground the seat. Maybe that valve was chucked off center when it was ground and they didn't check the contact on assembly. Maybe they had a bucket of small-block Chev valves and picked one that was bent and didn't check anything. I'd say there is evidence of sloppy workmanship.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I went t the machine shop yesterday to look at the head. They had removed the valves, and hot tanked so that it was bare metal clean. I could see that the area of the combustion chamber between the valves looked like it had been hit with a rose bud until cherry red and became very much blue on all six of them. I also noticed that there was no combustion chamber depression at all in the area of the intake valve.
I do not know how many times this head has been machined or if someone shaved a bunch off to increase compression ratio, prior to when this machine shop has worked on it. They have shaved it twice. Once, when they did the original total rebuild 20,000 miles ago, and a second time after I through a connecting rod 2,000-3,000 miles ago.
I am wondering if the lack of any depression in the combustion chamber near the intake valve has caused the problem of that area to cook, as well as cooking the valves.
I do have two 1954 heads (913) which I believe are unmolested and there is a significant depression near the intake valve which my '56 (848) head is lacking.
I am going to take those to the machine shop tomorrow so that he can measure the height of these to compare to the height of the '56 head to determine how much has been removed from it over the years.
I will likely just have him (not his low paid flunky) rebuild the best of the two '54 heads.
I trust this machine shop, but help is hard to find these days, let alone good help.

Last edited by 52Carl; 06/02/2023 12:14 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
The 914 head can be shaved .090" to have the same compression ratio as the 848, but the intake valves must be recessed into the head the same distance to avoid valve to piston interference. Drop me a PM if you would like some more specific details on how that modification is done. It was a pretty common mod before the 848 head was available.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,688
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,688
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I am wondering if the lack of any depression in the combustion chamber near the intake valve has caused the problem of that area to cook, as well as cooking the valves.
I do have two 1954 heads (913) which I believe are unmolested and there is a significant depression near the intake valve which my '56 (848) head is lacking.
I am going to take those to the machine shop tomorrow so that he can measure the height of these to compare to the height of the '56 head to determine how much has been removed from it over the years.

I'm struggling to picture the depression Carl is talking about, and to understand how it relates head-shaving. Could someone explain or even better, post a picture?


1951 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Normally, there is a small step in the combustion chamber that slightly shrouds the intake valve. When the head is milled, unless the valve is recessed the same distance, the step goes away and exposes the edge of the valve to the flame front as the fuel burns. Obviously, the alleged "machinist" didn't know to move the valves back after the milling was done. That's another reason to find a different metal butcher!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,688
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,688
Gotcha. That makes sense now.


1951 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
I just purchased a set of carbide-blade hand turned cutters from an Ebay seller that can be used for the recessing operation. Each one of the different size and angle cutter heads also has a set of blades on the back side that are usually used to narrow the valve seating area from the top. For instance:

www.ebay.com/itm/394349427127?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I went to the machine shop with a '54 235 head so that the height of that head could be compared to the height of the head in question.
My '56 848 head measured .050" less than than the '54 head. We don't know if the '54 head has ever been shaved, so that .050" difference may indeed be more than .050".
This has lead to an elevated compression ratio on a head which is already the highest compression ratio head available. Add to this, the lack of compression chamber volume near the intake valve, things are going to get hot and valves are going to cook.
Jethro from Virginia has graciously offered me a 848 head from his inventory.
I have dropped off the '54 213 head at the machine shop to be built, but I may take up Jethro's generous offer on his 848 head.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
An untouched 848 head will be exactly 4.000" thick. In my experience the "quench trench" is approximately .070" to .080" deep. Good luck.
Attachments
15.JPG (41.07 KB, 226 downloads)
before.jpg (110.78 KB, 225 downloads)
after .072.jpg (94.79 KB, 225 downloads)
valve.jpg (65.54 KB, 225 downloads)
000_3180.jpg (159.06 KB, 225 downloads)


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
I would not give up on that head if, as you say it's not cracked. They usually crack between the exhaust port and the intake port up the side of the combustion chamber. I have an 848 head that's been milled a moderate amount to make sure it's flat and the quench area around the intake valve is noticeably diminished. The head is on a 261 which should give 9.2:1 + a little from milling. It runs fine on regular gas. I have a hotter than stock cam and checked the intake valve clearance to be 0.050 at minimum. I don't think your blueing is caused by high compression ratio. Probably lean mixture is the culprit. Cut the valve seats back enough to protect the intake valve and set the seat contact at the outer edge. That helps keep the edges cool. Also make sure the intake valves aren't too thin at the edges. I have cut the edges back a little to eliminate thin edges on motorcycle racing engines with no shrouding and had them survive a whole season's racing.

Measure your valve clearance with one cylinder assembled on a used head gasket. If you get 0.050 I'd say you're good to go.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by Curt B.
An untouched 848 head will be exactly 4.000" thick. In my experience the "quench trench" is approximately .070" to .080" deep. Good luck.
Thanks Curt. That 4.000 thickness was what I needed to know, as well as the .070 to .080 quench trench dimensions.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by 1Ton_tommy
I would not give up on that head if, as you say it's not cracked. They usually crack between the exhaust port and the intake port up the side of the combustion chamber. I have an 848 head that's been milled a moderate amount to make sure it's flat and the quench area around the intake valve is noticeably diminished. The head is on a 261 which should give 9.2:1 + a little from milling. It runs fine on regular gas. I have a hotter than stock cam and checked the intake valve clearance to be 0.050 at minimum. I don't think your blueing is caused by high compression ratio. Probably lean mixture is the culprit. Cut the valve seats back enough to protect the intake valve and set the seat contact at the outer edge. That helps keep the edges cool. Also make sure the intake valves aren't too thin at the edges. I have cut the edges back a little to eliminate thin edges on motorcycle racing engines with no shrouding and had them survive a whole season's racing.

Measure your valve clearance with one cylinder assembled on a used head gasket. If you get 0.050 I'd say you're good to go.
You may well be correct about not giving up on the head, but it needs new valve guides and new valves, and who knows what all that heat did to the head. I have a couple three extra heads to choose from to put back on this engine. I would rather go that route since my out of pocket expense will be the same whether I have the current head redone or one of three others I have to choose from.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Jon G Not gonna throw anything but have to downplay guide knurling,it just wears out too soon. In the case for our old castings looks like bronze walls are the safest and very durable. However iron guides have kept these engines alive until old geezers like us could take over, right ?? So I'm not afraid to take the chance and drive in new iron guides. I pressed in a set a while back,lot better to use a big hammer and driver to fit. they're running using fresh 350 exhaust valves hard seats ,hard button on the stem in the 235 1948 splash oiler. Gonna go get ready to haul and spread white rock now !!

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
JW51 Where did you see bronze guides ?? I would like to have a set of those,anytime you see bronze it is usually something durable !!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
It sounds like your 848 head is pretty close to being a boat anchor. Drop me a PM and I'll respond with a phone number. There's a few tricks involved in increasing the compression of the early head to make it pretty much equivalent to an 848, but it's best discussed in a 2-way conversation, not with a keyboard. That's what the hotrodders did before 848's became generally available in salvage yard
.
Anybody with a lathe and a micrometer can make his own bronze valve guides, but why bother? Thin wall bronze guide liners are cheap, plentiful, and easy to install. I'll be doing that to a 216 head in the next few days.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
My neighbor Jethro (only an hour and a half down the road), horse traded me an unmolested 848 head off of a '57 235.
It is at the machine shop now to be cleaned up and magna-fluxed, and to check the valve guides, valves, and seat conditions.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,817
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,817
That's great. Now you can stop worrying about the truck and go relax in the Cee-ment pond!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Popped in at the machine shop today to hopefully pick up my rebuilt head. It was not done. They had not even ordered the parts yet. He printed out and handed me a quote for the job. $845.30. He said that it needs all new valves, seats, and valve guides.
My chin hit the counter and I just stared at the quote. He said, "You can take your time and think about it."
I think that he gave me a, "We don't want to work on this head price."
What say you?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I think that he doesn't want to do it. Of course the last time I had valve work done was on my Model A when I was in college. I drove to the machine shop, removed the head, watched while he repaired the seats and replaced the valves (I had bought some cheapo offshore ones that burnt out in short order), paid him maybe $50, replaced the head and drove back to my dorm. So I really don't know what the going rate is. ohwell


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
Yep, my chin hit my desktop and I agree with you. This is the same shop that worked on it before? Kind of lost for words, there. Didn't Jerry say he had a head?


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Sound a bit steep to me. Definitely an “I don’t want to work on your head price”.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"$845.30. He said that it needs all new valves, seats, and valve guides."

Carl,

Does that include prepping/machining and reassembly of the head?

What are your options?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by tclederman
"$845.30. He said that it needs all new valves, seats, and valve guides."

Carl,

Does that include prepping/machining and reassembly of the head?

What are your options?
Yes. It will be ready to bolt on to the block when they are done. That is how all machine shops I have dealt with do it.
One option is to find another machine shop and go back to this one and say no thanks and take my head back.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,817
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,817
They already screwed it up once.

They clearly don't want to do it now.

If someone doesn't want to do something, paying more for it it isn't going to insure that it's done with the care it deserves.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Grab that head and RUN- - - -do not walk away! I just rebuilt a stovebolt head with all new valves, springs, and positive seals for a parts cost of slightly less that $100.00. I even used stainless steel exhaust valves- - - -they're the same ones that fit a small block V8. Are you up for a road trip to Tennessee, or shipping the head to me? PM or give me a phone call.

For instance:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193918558086?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Sounds like and appt and road trip to HRL. Yep, I'd check around. If i had one I'd give it to you!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 557
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 557
1500 mile round trip from Carl's to Jerry's. That's 250 bucks in gas and a motel room.


~~ Jethro
1954 3100
Back to Life
In the Dity Gallery
1951 3100 (gone) / 1956 4400 (still in the neighborhood) / 1957 6400 with dump body (retired) / 1959 3100 panel (in the woods junked) / 1978 Custom Deluxe K10 / 1993 S-10 4.3 / 2004 Chevy Crew Cab / 1945 John Deere H / 1952 John Deere B / 1966 John Deere 2510 / 1967 John Deere 1020
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Blue Line Freight (Fastenal)- - - - -burn their Diesel fuel instead of your gasoline.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by tclederman
"$845.30. He said that it needs all new valves, seats, and valve guides."

Carl,

Does that include prepping/machining and reassembly of the head?

What are your options?
Yes. It will be ready to bolt on to the block when they are done. That is how all machine shops I have dealt with do it.
One option is to find another machine shop and go back to this one and say no thanks and take my head back.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I am going to pick up the head on Monday, and try to find another machine shop.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Update.
Got Jethro's head back from the new to me machine shop. I horse traded him a razor sharp Case folding knife, and a 3 speed transmission for the 848. He threw in a spitload of sweet corn and a head of cabbage. We surely both walked away thinking that we made out like bandits.
The machine dhop did the following:
All new intake valves, and new stainless steel exhaust valves.
New valve guides, and new valve seats. (the old seats were hammered too deep to retain the proper geometry of the rocker arms.
They shaved just the bare minimum from the head to make it true.
They milled the side of the head where the manifold goes.
He charged me $400.00 for rebuilding a head which literally needed everything. That is less than half of what my now former machine shop wanted to charge me.
I just got done priming it, and am fixin to paint it dark gray.
Tomorrow it is going back on the engine.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Sounds like you have a busy day tomorrow. I bet your excited to install the head and get her running again. I know I would be. Good luck!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0