The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1497335 04/20/2023 3:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Though I have 2 extra steering wheels, I wanted to first restore the one currently being used. Yesterday, removed it and installed one of the extra ones. Now, no horn! What did I do? forget the contact bushing? Messed up the horn button install? Removed the spare wheel and reinstalled the original wheel......still no honk.

After going thru a couple hours of scratchin' my head, thought I would start looking at the dual horns and the relay setup that's mounted on the firewall. All looked as fine as expected, not being touched for a dozen years plus, but what caught my eye was the 3 terminals on the relay. Lots of crud build up. Maybe I should clean the terminals . Maybe I was desperate to find the culprit. Started with the wire coming from the steering column. Oh and did I mention, I forgot to disconnect the battery?

TOOT !!

My screwdriver touched a couple of the terminals and a horn or two and I was blasted. Cleaned the relay terminals and related wire terminals and all is good....for now.

So note to myself and others. When you are desperate to monkey around with the truck, consider looking at the various wiring harnesses with crud buildup, especially in the engine bay, etc. Oh, and disconnect the battery first.

Cheers


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
cmayna #1497341 04/20/2023 4:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
At least you did not buy an after-market one for $359.00 and 3 months late every time you turn a corner the horn blows. ohwell BTW nice truck and back drop.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0