The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RoadsScholar, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Is there a option for a smaller stock looking wheel? I am adding PS and will not need the large one.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Lots of options. Most GM splines are the same.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
I added PS in my 49-3100 but kept the stock (big) wheel to keep the original look.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
PS or not, larger the wheel , easier the effort.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Most after-market wheels come in different sizes. I bought a Lecarre and the horn did not last more than 3 months and kept blowing when I turned the corner. I thnk it was over $300.00.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
I have thought about the stock look. Mine has a few cracks on it. I figure I can fill and paint it. It will wear in like the original I would guess.

If I get much fatter I might not be able to fit behind it? I am 6'0 and 250 lbs.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Wow Buoymaker. That is an amazing article.

I don't see how he didn't simply shatter all the plastic when he reduced the diameter of the wheel? Cutting the center arms back is easy, but reducing the diameter would result in the covering flying everywhere?


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Thought about this all weekend. I think I am going to try it as I get closer with the re-assembly.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Nicely done. thumbs_up


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
That was pretty cool. Reducing the diameter worked well because he had a jig made up with the blocks spaced enough so things didn't kink. The plastic coating is just that (plastic) and so shouldn't crack when it was bent to the smaller diameter. A wheel that's gone brittle might have issues, though.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
I'm fat to.I have a 49-3100 with original steering wheel. I wanted the big wheel for original look, but my belly was to big. Took the back of the seat to a shop and they removed all the thick padding and springs and installed one layer of foam. My belly does not rub on the wheel and my back is just fine with the one layer of foam.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Well. When I get closure to installing the column I am going to try it. My plastic has cracks which will need to be repaired anyway, so may as well do it all at once and see what happens.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0