I'm brand new on here, so take it easy on me ! HA ! I bought this truck 24 years ago, put it in my barn, it was driving great when I received it. But, life got in the way. Now, ready to restore it. Need some general information on it ? Is it a 6500 ? The title says 1954, but not much else ? Can you all please give me some tips on how and where to get started. Located between Austin and San Antonio Tx. I appreciate your time and responses.
Welcome to the Stovebolt. Before we can help you we need more information. Serial numbers, engine numbers, block casting numbers, head casting numbers. Close-up photos of said numbers would be great. The number experts on here can tell you pretty much anything you need to know. Click on Tech Tips in the menu bar at the top of the page and scroll through for some excellent reading.
Stop by the Welcome Center and introduce yourself.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Yes Sir, I sure will ! Headed to Welcome Center now... Thanks ! I'll go get the required photos in the next week or so, on the road now. And, I'll keep reading !
Also, you'll find the Shops Forums will be very helpful with some of your technical questions.
We are here to help. Just ask.
And welcome to the Bolt!
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Do NOT crank the engine. Sitting that long, valves may be stuck, bending pushrods, etc. Remove any fuel in tank and carb. Remove valve cover, oil the valve stems liberally, tap on each valve with rubber hammer or 2 x 4, to verify they all move. Oil everything else, crank engine. Always use fresh fuel, look for local fuel supplier that sells non-alcohol fuel. Thank Obama!
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Do what you like ,it’s your truck ! For me make it mechanically sound and enjoy as is. It’s a great looking truck as it is right now. You can always make cosmetic changes down the road
Rancher 3360 Almost missed your truck,looks like a good one,as Ed Pruss said be careful to soak your cylinders and be sure valves are free to work. Would send it thru by hand at first till you know it,s free to go. I swear by marvel mystery oil,keep a squirt can of it right on my lathe ways. That special smell of mmo when she fires up is like nascar smoke to a bolter !! Big bolts are big fu n On the old 2x4 trick watch out for intake valves that have a piston right at top dead center where the valve can hit the piston not likely but possible. Had one where all 6 intakes were bent from timing gear fail it would run just wouldn't start right. Peeled the head off ( was a beater) ground the 6 intakes till they cleaned up start fine then went ahead a long time !! Cheapo fix !!
Waveski I first saw MMO in the pumpers truck 70 years ago,we had it at home too. My 235's soak it in,drill press chuck likes to be soaked in Marvel too. Keep my metal pump oil can that hangs up on a nail head charged with marvel.
Marvel Mystery Oil is the miracle juice that has freed up many a marine gas engine - there is no worse environment for an engine than in the bilge of a sailboat, below the water line. Especially in salt water. Stuck valves are a frequent problem; MMO has a great record both preventative and curative. I can personally attest to the latter.
Welcome to the site. You should define restore because it means different things to different people. My 54 3100 is restored but updated in some ways to be a daily driver and a long-distance driver. BTW I have had it since 1983 and drove it for a long time as a third vehicle when my son got his license.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am. 1954 3100 Chevy truck In the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix 1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
My favorite AD is a 55 1st with a 47-53 front clip and an earlier shallow bed with slanted top rails. Of course the tractor engine has to give way to an LS and a Nova front frame clip. Just sit back and cruise at 75 all day.