The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (jmoore, kades51, Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck, Frank50, Jon G, 1 invisible), 74 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,379
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1467686 09/22/2022 12:38 PM
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 62
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 62
Just curious if anyone has split a 47-53 hood into the two separate halves and if so, what did you use to rejoin those halves? rivets? small nuts/bolts?

Thanks!

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
I have a 1954. I "split " the hood during my restoration process and rejoined it using flathead screws.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Welded the two halves together and ditched the centre dividing strip. I like the smooth hood, but am not entirely happy with the fit. The fit issue was mainly caused by a previous repair. Welding can overheat the hood and cause it to warp and "oil can". You have to go slow.


Gord πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 62
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 62
Thanks Dusty and Gord!!

I have a SS dividing strip and want to keep it as "original" as practical!

Gord, I will keep an eye out for your truck! We have a condo in Victoria and our dream is to end up in Mill Bay, if prices smarten up that is!!!

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Nuts and bolts.
Attachments
1952suburban440.jpg (62.19 KB, 101 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
My hood had a few of the rivets popped loose in the front where it had taken a hit on the driver's side. After persuading it back into the right shape, I replace those rivets with semi-tubular rivets. Machine screws and nuts would have worked just fine but being a bit AR, I went with the rivets to match the originals. I used machine screws and nuts temporarily.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 256
20 plus years ago I split my hood so I could clean up the rust in the seam before bodywork and paint. Looks like I used 1/4” machine screws and nylocs to put it back together. Unless you’re AR or a purist I’d say just use screws to put it back together. Good luck, Dave
Attachments


1948 5-window 3100 Chevy
327 V-8 TBI 700R4 Posi 3.73
"Old Blue"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Originally Posted by 53farmtruck
Thanks Dusty and Gord!!

Gord, I will keep an eye out for your truck! We have a condo in Victoria and our dream is to end up in Mill Bay, if prices smarten up that is!!!

Send me a PM (private message) if you will be in the area.


Gord πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Originally Posted by 53farmtruck
I have a SS dividing strip and want to keep it as "original" as practical!
Just for the record, center strip was originally body colored on AD trucks, but you see more and more stainless these days. Maybe because they're only selling stainless nowadays, I dunno. By all means, make it the way YOU want it! thumbs_up


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
I bought a plain primered center strip a few years ago. I think they're still available.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I used stainless steel nuts bolts and lock washers that fit in the existing rivet holes.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
I recall that #10 machine screws fit the existing holes.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Yes they do!

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
We used to do a lot of "smoothie" hoods but it has kind of died out. We welded the rear cross member to the underside of hood and fabricated a center cross member. Allowed a full week for welding and cooling. About a 1/4 to 3/8 bead maximum with cool to room temp between beads. Very little warp and good hood fit. Picture is of a 49 that was taken to show one piece windshield but hood shown also.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/WdCXDw2x/one-piece-windshield-001.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fJkcxSgs/one-piece-windshield-002.jpg[/img]


Evan
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
That image hosting website is hot trash
Please never use it again
Thanks
- everybody


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0