The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (37 GC, Dusty53, sron48, Vice-Grip, Otto Skorzeny), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,613
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
This is the first time that I've seen a upper radiator cowel installed.

Does anyone know why this was there or what it was for?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Never seen one either

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
First time I've seen one. Maybe they were for the larger trucks.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
Never seen one on an older truck either. Have to say though that I like it. Anything to keep the heat monster at bay.


1947 Chevy 6400 Wrecker

Old Stovebolts don't leak oil
They just mark their territory
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 38
W
Apprentice
Apprentice
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 38
Unless im mistaken,cowls are to force the air through the radiator, by the fan and keep the engine cooler at slower speeds and make cooling more efficent. Does this fan pull or push air?
good luck, wombat

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
This pic came off of a 1940 1 1/2 ton that is out on eBay.

I have the same truck. I haven't paid close attention, but I believe that the fan pulls air.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 72
Yep, it pulls air in thru the radiator to cool it. That cowling guides air from the top of the radiator into the fan.

I've had overheating problems in the past with missing fan shrouds on later model V-8s. Usually it's fine as long as the vehicle is moving. But when you start the stop n go stuff or just sitting there idling, then is when things start getting a bit overheated.


1947 Chevy 6400 Wrecker

Old Stovebolts don't leak oil
They just mark their territory

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0