| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
149
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 338 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 338 | This is the first time that I've seen a upper radiator cowel installed. Does anyone know why this was there or what it was for? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 | First time I've seen one. Maybe they were for the larger trucks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 72 | Never seen one on an older truck either. Have to say though that I like it. Anything to keep the heat monster at bay. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 38 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 38 | Unless im mistaken,cowls are to force the air through the radiator, by the fan and keep the engine cooler at slower speeds and make cooling more efficent. Does this fan pull or push air? good luck, wombat | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 338 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 338 | This pic came off of a 1940 1 1/2 ton that is out on eBay.
I have the same truck. I haven't paid close attention, but I believe that the fan pulls air. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 72 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 72 | Yep, it pulls air in thru the radiator to cool it. That cowling guides air from the top of the radiator into the fan.
I've had overheating problems in the past with missing fan shrouds on later model V-8s. Usually it's fine as long as the vehicle is moving. But when you start the stop n go stuff or just sitting there idling, then is when things start getting a bit overheated. | | |
| |
| |