The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (lumbersawyer, Otto Skorzeny, DHedrick), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,413
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1450183 05/01/2022 10:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I don't know where to ask this. My fuel tank on my 54 is an aftermarket aluminum 20-gallon. I have never been able to put more than 15 gallons in it in the last 16 years. I have an electric backup fuel pump and I am thinking of unhooking and running it dry into a large gas can and see how much it will hold.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
What exactly are you asking?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
If your question is should you do it ..... why not? The results will ease your mind.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

WE b OLD #1450256 05/02/2022 11:27 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
You say you've not been able to put more than 15 gallons in it. What metric are you using to tell you it's empty? If you're using the gas gauge and filling when it says empty your float may not be at the bottom of the tank. You might have another 5 gallons that the float doesn't see. Run it until you're at empty then stick a siphon hose in the tank and see how much, if any, is still there.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
WE b OLD #1450261 05/02/2022 12:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
Right after I got the '51 on the road in a dependable fashion I threw a full 5 gallon jug of gas in the back and just went about my normal driving. It seemed like it took forever to run the tank empty. When it did run dry (after giving plenty of warning it was about to) it was a simple matter to put the emergency gas in, saving a little to prime the carb and crank her up. Then drive to the gas station with the concrete knowledge of where empty on the gauge truly was (it's right after the gauge hand hits the lower leg of E on my truck).

RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
You may not want it to be full. The original tank gas cap is not pressurized.
Gas station tanks may be underground so the gas is at ground temperature.
Here in the South, where temps usually hit 90 in the summer, that cool gas heats and expands a lot.
On original trucks the cab heats up like a toaster oven in the sun and so does the gas in the tank behind the seat.
Gas can force it's way past the gas cap seal and ruin a nice paintjob.
Back in those days you had to remember not to "filler up".


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 184
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 184
Or, park it on a slope with the passenger side down.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Don't do a "filler up" on modern cars either. You can mess up the EVAP system by overfilling.

Since most of us now use a credit or debit card to pay for gas there's no need to top it up to the next highest dollar.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Ron,
You need to live closer to the edge. Drive your baby till she's out of gas. I'll bet she'll take 20 gallons then.
I run mine until the needle quits wiggling from the sloshing gas. I know that I have 20 miles until I need to be next to a gas pump.
Edgy Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
I would just figure the volume using the basic L X W X H. There are 7.48 gallons to the cubic foot.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
WE b OLD #1451076 05/09/2022 12:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58


'66 C60 body, '97 C6500 chassis, '07 LBZ Duramax with Allison 1000
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxwv1C6Ay2oxYH7u7
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Originally Posted by buoymaker
Back in those days you had to remember not to "filler up".

Yep. In 1990 I bought a 29 Ford in college. Went home next summer and gas forced itself out and dripped a nice hole into my parents newly paved driveway.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0