The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (tclederman, klhansen), 97 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,641
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
So what is the right way to pull a 283 and 4 speed?

After 4 hrs of fighting it, I finally got the engine out. I threw everything at it including the kitchen sink to separate the bellhousing from the engine. Finally I used a ratchet strap to hold back of engine, another to hold back of transmission, and a third to pull the transmission backwards while I used chisels and prybars to get them apart.

Didn't help that the top half of the motor mounts were gone? Only thing holding engine in place was its weight.

Then once I got the engine out, the next 1 1/2 hrs was spent trying to get the transmission out? It can't move due to crossmember. I ended up twisting it 30 degrees, and forcing it backwards. Broke a bucket that helped catch it, but at least I didn't break the transmission.

I see no good way to remove or install without picking the cab up. I could not do that because I have a rocker cut out of it and want everything stable until I put the new one back in.

If I am going to go to the trouble of making cab pretty I am going to have to have cab off to install engine and transmission. Or did I miss something?


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Here are some pics of my endeavor
Attachments
20220402_112530[1].jpg (143.22 KB, 147 downloads)
20220402_115748[1].jpg (186.6 KB, 145 downloads)
20220402_145625[1].jpg (171.11 KB, 143 downloads)
20220402_120311[1].jpg (195.28 KB, 137 downloads)

Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 04/02/2022 8:06 PM.

1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
One major mistake- - - -you should have unbolted the transmission from the bell housing. It attaches with four bolts, two of which come through from insisde the bellhousing, just above the sheet metal cover for the flywheel. Then the engine and bellhousing can be lifted out together.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Jerry,

Maybe if there was not so much crud I might have realized that if I saw the bolts. But the shift fork goes through the bellhousing?

Another thing I noticed was the only thing holding the engine in place what the weight of the engine. I unbolted the mounts from the frame and figured that was easiest way to go. As i lifted the engine the brackets fell to the floor.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
A much simpler way to handle that heavy transmission is to put a 4X4 timber through the windows of the cab and suspernd it with a short piece of chain from a couple of cover bolts and a cable come-along, then unbolt it, slide it back a little, and lower it with the cable. Us old geezers learned to use leverage and lifting points instead of brute force a long time ago. An engine lift through an open door is another way to handle a big 4 or 5 speed.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Ferris If you never do anything you wont learn much. Not bad to have an experienced helper,my driveline teacher was a true junkyard dog, really learned from him.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Ferris Very common to find the engine just sitting in there,mounts all tore loose or oil soaked and melted away. Remember how you used to see engine and tranny laying out on the hiway after a crash ?? That's why thay made captive mounts. Another thing I detected on learning was how college level "sheepskin" teachers learned from their much younger students. That was because those students had worked with old geezers like us,who learned it the hard way !!

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
I enjoy learning new things even when times get frustrating. Appreciate the advice and tips. I am now at a point that I am able to share my knowledge to people. Just not today. smile


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
As what Jerry said. I use a cherry picker thru the passenger doorway. Connect it to the gearbox, then unbolt the gearbox from the bell housing and lower it to the floor. Disconnect from the cherry picker and slide it out from under. I like the 4x4 timber thru the window frames idea if one doesn't have access to a cherry picker.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
cmayna When I was young would take the tranny bolts out,climb in the cab pull the tranny out by the stick lower it to the floor.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Wow! If that isn't manly or what!! Knowing that just gives one more options, especially if you had spinach for breakfast and you made sure the stick is securely fastened.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I learned that trick while working on a huge Spicer 5 speed in a Peterbilt, broken down on the side of the road- - - - -no way to get it to a shop! We pulled the trans, took it back to the shop and repaired it, then reinstalled it the same way.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by fixite7
cmayna When I was young would take the tranny bolts out,climb in the cab pull the tranny out by the stick lower it to the floor.
That's how I always did it. The first time I helped my big brother do it, I got to be underneath and catch it on my chest. That didn't workout.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I would do that too, NP-540 series are heavy.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0