Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
115
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 | I have searched our site here for this info, and while this issue is addressed for other trucks I do not see anything for this particular usage. What is the torque spec for the front wheel bearing (ball bearing) retaining nut on a '54 1.5 ton? Also, any tips/tricks/proceedure I need to know about that?
I took it apart to replace the wheel cylinder and am now putting it back together. I did not remove the inner bearing. I cleaned it in place and re-greased it -- hopefully sufficiently.
Thanks in advance! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 226 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 226 | I just snug it up...to zero clearance, and then back it off an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn where the cotter key will line up...you can tighten it till ya just feel a slight drag on the wheel then back it off a little....
What it will say on my Tombstone: "Boy, that guy sure owed alotta people Money"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 | That sounds like how I did them years ago on my camaro's, etc., but I wanted to be sure. I thought I read some threads about other trucks going from between 20 and 30 foot/pounds so I thought I better ask.
I know that when I took it apart it seemed to be about finger tight or so.
Thanks for the quick reply! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I tighten the nut until the end play is gone, then loosen, then tighten. Do this a few times to seat the bearing into the grease. The final time I tighten it to no end play I then tighten to the next available cotter pin notch. I prefer a little preload as apposed to a loose wheel bearing. Scott | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 | Thanks Scott. Is there any danger of burning up the bearing by doing it this way? Can I over-tighten or over-load the bearing if I'm not careful? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 452 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 452 | The shop manual says to tighten to 33 lb-ft while turning the hub, then back off the nut to align to the nearest hole in the spindle for the cotter pin.
Curt ---- 1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan --"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 | Excellent! Thanks very much. That puts my mind at ease.
Can you tell me where I can get a shop manual for this truck?
Thanks again. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Bolter Rush,
As per Peg, click on the American Classic icon at the top of the page...put your year truck in and look under "L" for literature. I have the same style truck as you, although mine isn't a dumper!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 27 | Thanks very much everyone. I've been a member here for awhile but I'm still amazed at how great this site is.
Thanks everyone. You've been a huge help. | | |
| |