The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, Ole49GMC, Otto Skorzeny, DaveV), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,294
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1446639 03/31/2022 5:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I was surprised to see that my '69 C-50 with the 350 V8 is equipped with an oil bath air cleaner. I would have guessed that those were discontinued by the early 60's. I'm going to convert my original air cleaner to accept a paper element style filter.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
T
TGP Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Was still a Heavy Duty option.
I have a friend who ordered a new 79 DodgeW200 with oil bath.

Probably the Last ones.
I haven't seen any since.
Tom

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Oil bath filters don't restrict the air flow like a paper filter does as they get dirty.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
JLucas How do you think so many of these old trucks lived so long ?? the oil bath air cleaner was a good outfit. I have serviced them that had enough field dirt to make the oil in the air cleaner thick like syrup. They told you to put the same viscosity as the crankcase oil according to the season. Still have some originals in service,Mike B is right about air flow.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I was mostly just surprised to find one on a truck from 1969. I thought those had been discontinued in the early sixty's around '60-62. I know that they performed well. I just want to convert it to a paper element for the convenience.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
Just keep it a oil bath those paper filters depending on the size are getting more expensive.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
kevinski Think your right,all it costs is the oil wipe it out is then like new again.

Mike B #1449174 04/24/2022 12:49 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by Mike B
Oil bath filters don't restrict the air flow like a paper filter does as they get dirty.

Mike B smile

To a point. I have seen them so full of dirt it formed a solid brick with the oil.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0