| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Mike in Sycamore, Leo, Gdads51, 1955 1 Series, Bill Trotter, cmayna, ShopRag),
109
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,280 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | I was surprised to see that my '69 C-50 with the 350 V8 is equipped with an oil bath air cleaner. I would have guessed that those were discontinued by the early 60's. I'm going to convert my original air cleaner to accept a paper element style filter.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 112 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 112 | Was still a Heavy Duty option. I have a friend who ordered a new 79 DodgeW200 with oil bath.
Probably the Last ones. I haven't seen any since. Tom | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Oil bath filters don't restrict the air flow like a paper filter does as they get dirty. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2018 Posts: 2,450 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2018 Posts: 2,450 | JLucas How do you think so many of these old trucks lived so long ?? the oil bath air cleaner was a good outfit. I have serviced them that had enough field dirt to make the oil in the air cleaner thick like syrup. They told you to put the same viscosity as the crankcase oil according to the season. Still have some originals in service,Mike B is right about air flow. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | I was mostly just surprised to find one on a truck from 1969. I thought those had been discontinued in the early sixty's around '60-62. I know that they performed well. I just want to convert it to a paper element for the convenience.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,315 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,315 | Just keep it a oil bath those paper filters depending on the size are getting more expensive. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2018 Posts: 2,450 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2018 Posts: 2,450 | kevinski Think your right,all it costs is the oil wipe it out is then like new again. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,456 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,456 | Oil bath filters don't restrict the air flow like a paper filter does as they get dirty. Mike B  To a point. I have seen them so full of dirt it formed a solid brick with the oil.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022 | | |
| |
| |