| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (RLB),
119
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 9 | Does anyone know what the timing should be set at for this motor with HEI? Between the timing, the carb, and the truck running hot, I can't figure it out. Thanks, Jeff | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | 2 degrees before it starts to ping, under a load. I don't think the timing and a lean burn is your problem. I would look at a plugged radiator or a stuck or missing thermostat being the culprit. Borrow a digital thermometer and start looking for cool spots in your cooling system. I did see one far out scenario one time, a waterpump had rusted the impeller fins completely off of the pump, not moving any water at all. That one sucked to diagnose. Good luck, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 9 | Thats what I don't understand. The whole cooling system is new from rad to all hoses and water pump. I am not running a thermostat. I can't think of nothing else. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 23 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 23 | You need to have a thermostat to cool properly. The thermostat slows the coolant as it passes through the radiator giving it time to transfer heat to the air. Otherwise the coolant passes through the radiator so fast it doesn't have time for the radiator to do its work. | | |
| |
| |