I would run a brace across the two lower door hinges to keep the width correct since you'll be working on the floor. Also, since you'll probably need to replace at least part of the rockers, you'll want to weld something across the lower half of each door opening, and probably diagonally from the lower hinge location up to the striker plate area.
Here's a couple of pics of what I did. My rotisserie mounts helped to stiffen the door opening instead of a diagonal brace.
You can browse thru my photos in the link in my signature.
I'm sure you'll be back with more questions, especially when you get to the cowl panels.
Welcome to the Stovebolt.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Thank you Kevin. I see the brace across from lower hinge to lower hinge. I also see the braces at the bottom.From the pictures it looks like we are starting from the same 20 yard line rust wise. I'm already jealous of you rotisserie.
I feel your pain! I've got a similar situation with my truck. I'm documenting my progress in the project journals. You can read about it in the "Restoring the basketcase" journal. Starting point pics for my truck attached. It's a ton of work, but I'm still optimistic that I can get it done. Just keep at it, eventually you'll get there.
Thank you Kevin. I see the brace across from lower hinge to lower hinge. I also see the braces at the bottom.From the pictures it looks like we are starting from the same 20 yard line rust wise. I'm already jealous of you rotisserie.
That rotisserie was a great labor saver. And a back saver. It saved me from laying on the floor under the cab to repair the floor. It's already been recycled to another Stovebolter ( well part of it anyway. Sent him the brackets that I welded up to go in the door openings.
There are a number of those "Fred Flintstone" trucks that are getting saved by Stovebolters.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Boy did those pictures bring back memories. Like 52Carl says, everyone needs to build at least one basket case but why, why am I on my 3rd one???? Got to love the challenge and then the fruits of our labors....I think!
Scott, you will get it done....at least 15 minutes every day will keep you motivated and going...and we're here to listen and cheer you own. You do not have to walk that path by yourself. Keep trucking brother.
Good grief- - - - -I've trashed or given away better looking sheet metal than that stuff! I wonder what my old 59 Burb that's been parked for over 20 years would be worth? It's one of those "IRWIPI" things! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Good grief- - - - -I've trashed or given away better looking sheet metal than that stuff! I wonder what my old 59 Burb that's been parked for over 20 years would be worth? It's one of those "IRWIPI" things! Jerry
I talked to a body shop who was restoring an AD cab when I first got my truck, and his comment after I described my project was "Buy a new cab". But that wasn't the point. The truck has some history and I wanted to keep it as original as possible, so rebuilt the rust bucket. That and I needed something to keep me off the streets in retirement (it worked. )
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I look at fixing basket cases this way. You might suggest that I am crazy to even try it. I say that you are way too late on your assessment of my mental state. I need a pointless hobby like this to occupy my egg shell fragile mind to prevent me from being really dangerous to society.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Since fixing vehicles has always been a way of keeping a roof over my family's heads and food on the table instead of a hobby, I have a somewhat different take on what's worthwhile. I also think it's sort of foolish for supposedly mature adults to get passionately dedicated to a particular brand name of rust bucket. Of course, I also think it's foolish to spend thousands of dollars on equipment to be able to waste time smacking a little ball with a stick and then chasing it all over dozens of acres, BTW! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
My 53 cab was actually in a little worse shape than the one you're starting on. I too thought: Well, at least I'll be a better welder when this is finished. My cab is about finished now, and I do believe that I have become a better welder, although I still have lots of room for improvement. The good thing is, I will have most of the nastly looking welds pretty well hidden soon. I wish I'd started when I was a little younger. I think that you not only become a better welder, but you also get a better feel for what to replace, and what to leave alone. We all probably do a great job of keeping the grinder disc manufacturers profitable. It's easy for me to say "don't get discouraged", but I still do once in a while. The bottom line is: were saving some very cool vehicular history from being melted down.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
We all probably do a great job of keeping the grinder disc manufacturers profitable.
Yep, I've done my fair share of grinding bird$#!+. See the attached pic.
Originally Posted by Scott125
I might need a friendly kick in the kiester every once in awhile.
Scott, Let us know and we'll be happy to oblige.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.