The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (J Lucas, Youngin' Tut 59, Gdads51, MickeyP, 32Fordpuchoptop), 154 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,154
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142952 06/13/2005 1:57 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
I've determined I need to go through the wheels cylinder on the front and I am having a hard time figuring out how I get it apart.

On a 39 1.5 ton
I removed the 5 lug nuts and the wheel, this left me with what looked like a spacer with six lug nuts holding it to the brake drum. I removed the 6 lug nuts. I could not get the spacer off by tapping it with a hammer. I thought maybe there was a spindle nut cover in the center of the spacer, but it wouldn't come off with a tap either.

My 47-54 shop manual does not seem to apply. any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
On my 48, the spindle nut cap is threaded into the hub. Not sure how the older one's did theirs though,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
Scott, does your 48 have this spacer like thing on it? What looks like the spindle nut cover has flats on it for a wrench or giant socket. Do I have to lock the drum up in some way to turn the spindle nut cover?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
4.3, My '48 has the hub you describe as a spacer. It has 6 bolts that hold it to the drum? Do not remove those 6 bolts. Mine requires the removal of the spindle nut under the dust cap. You shouldn't have to lock up the drum, because the spindle is stationary. Just remove the nut,(check for a cotter pin through the spindle) and the hub should slide off. You might have to back off the brakes in order to get the drum to slide over the shoes.

That's how a '48 works, don't know how much help it will be on a '39?


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
Is the dust cap threaded or do I tap it off?

Do you mean don't remove the 6 lug nuts that hold it to the drum? Is the 6to5 spacer removable?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
On mine the dust cover is held on by six 1/4in. bolts, sounds like the '39 must be a little different.

The spacer should be removable, but isn'nescesary to remove the drum.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
I got it, the dust cap is threaded and it has eight flats on it, so you can't use a hex socket.

I think the six lugs are press through the spacer, if anyone knows how to separate the spacer, let me now. I have an idea about a disc brake setup for stock big truck axles.

Chris


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0