Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,616 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | You asked for it so here it is -- a forum for big trucks.
I'll throw out the first question -- how high does a stock '49 4400 sit? The truck will be a cab and chassis (once I get the cab back on the Chassis) and I want to know if I can get it in and out of the garage door.
Welcome! John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | John, Somewhere between 86-90in., from the ground, to the top of cab, depending on tire size. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | but more important, does it have a tranny yet?  [:he ducks:] Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 Camp Commandant | | Camp Commandant Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 | John, my coe towers at a total of 89 inches if that helps. You will probably be under that. It just barely fit in what I think was a standard garage door openning at my old house. Great new forum! Thanks, Bill. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 | WHAT??? John is moving the Bolt from the barn to a garage?? Looks like we're coming up in the world. Or, is this a "mid-life crisis? Have you deep-sixed the Dodgezilla yet?
Oly in Oregon Rest in Peace1945 GMC COE Victory Truck 1953 Willys CJ3B 1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton 1958 WIFE Last series Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | OOPS John, That'll be 66-70in., from the ground to top of cab. Punched the wrong keys the first go round. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I wish my bolts were in the gallery. I don't know if they got through the proper channels. I'm not the best computer operator, but it has been quite a while since I submitted. Just wondering if I should resubmit or wait a bit longer. Not impatient, just wondering Scott | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | LOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEE!!! I'M HOME! you and little ricky get ready cuz i'm takin' you and fred and ethel out to the looieville big truck show!!!! we're gonna talk about detroit diesals and 2 speed axles and air horns all the way there!! little truck owners got small equipment!  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 316 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 316 | Really, glad to see this here; it's been a long time coming........ There are more than a few things are are different from the light duty models........ Medium Duty trucks are cool..... 
*** GMC ***
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,607 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,607 | Great new forum !! I don't know the answer to how tall your cab is, it's just too late to go to the barn and measure the 6400. I also could not start a new topic here because I did not have permission. What a great idea, keep all the bigger trucks to ourselves. Check this one out!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2470857332&category=63734 Don King 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 | Yup, it looks like John is trying to keep this one all to himself. I'm certain if we hollar loud and squeal he will fix it for us.
Oly in Oregon Rest in Peace1945 GMC COE Victory Truck 1953 Willys CJ3B 1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton 1958 WIFE Last series Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,444 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,444 | I got a pix of a COE with a camper on the back today.. i'll post it soon.. you will all be impressed.
I want a big truck too.. but how to convince the wife that WE need one?
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Rusty Rod, take her for a ride in one that is set up right. Go through traffic and let her see how much nicer it is to be able to see ahead on the road Many people get out of the way for you as well 
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 | Not sure about your truck, but my 1960 Viking L60 LCF is about 95" tall. Hey Like the new forum, nice. The floors are nice and clean and I think the paint on the back wall is still wet...  | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,729 | Ooops -- Sorry! Mustabeen the cough medicine...
Try it now.
Thanks, Spanky et al. Not funny, Squeeze :mad:
John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 120 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 120 | Thanks!!! great idea. Jim
---------------------------- 54 Chevy 3100 deluxe 54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump 72 Chevy C/40 flatbed/dump 292" 1954 44001954 3800Jim D. '41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck '54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck! '54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law '13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles '01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 221 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 221 | Thanks John, for this new forum!
For what it's worth, my 46 two ton fits inside my standard two car garage. I have to nose it in when the stake racks are on it. The racks hit the door if I try to back in. It backs in fine when they are off. (tires are 7:50x20)
Regards, George | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon | | Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 | Aw right! No wimpy li'l ol' "pee cups" allowed. Jest the big guys!
Here we come! (Sound air horns.)
Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!
1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy "Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 50 | I will join in here in saying that this is one of the best ideas for me. I have been asking for this bigger truck site not long after I started here. I dont post much but I read over 90% of the replies. I have printed a ream of ideas to help me later. I have a 51 1.5ton 4400 flat bed. I try to drive it every week.
1951 1.5 ton 4400 | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | Greg1.5 As we mentioned in one of the other threads, we get around to the "good ideas" sooner or later. This one has been sooner than most! Looks like a good response. I suppose it helps a lot that John has two big trucks. Peggy
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 398 | HOLY CRAP JOHN!!!  Deja vu! Way back when, there was a guy called "Wannabe" who found The Stovebolt Page. The first question I posted was "Will the truck I want fit?" I thought the Grand Pooh Bah was omniscient!?! Great idea for this forum. There's ALOT of big truckers here who I'm sure will appreciate it. Just more proof that The 'Bolt is STILL #1 for old GM truck info. Regards, Wannabe 
"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 23 | Man, I am happy to see this new forum! I just went outside & measured my '51 1.5 ton. The ground is uneven, but I came up with about 80" unloaded. It won't fit under my garage door. I can't wait to get pictures of my trucks submitted. The 1.5 looks odd due to the short dump bed. I have about 2 1/2' between cab & bed. Guess I'll have to make some kind of tool box. Scott
Scooter
I am a total control freak. I shift for myself. No auto's!
1948 1 ton 5 window w/235 1951 1.5 ton dump w/235 1966 3/4 fleetside w/283 1962 Bel Air 235 w/OD & one rusty,beat up,240K mile '82 Chevy 3/4 ton
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | Sure,,,,, been here for several years now, owning only big trucks, and now sold my last 2-ton, reluctantly! And NOW, you make a forum, sheesh! Thanks alot!
Anyway, John, I have an eight foot door on my garage, Tall that is, and even COE's will just clear that, and sometimes run the lights thru the rubber on bottom of door! Standard cab should fit a seven foot I think, just watch those lights! Biggest problem if not a wide door are those darn big mirrors! They are in the way all the time, once inside also, when working on it. I've whacked my face/head many times on them.
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 19 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 19 | I thought I'd had one a those golden moments and had been missing this catagory all along. Thanks John!
When I learn enough to be ignorant more intelligently I will ask better questions.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 13 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 13 | Congrats on the new forum, and hanging on to the 1.5 ton.
What's the height? According to the 1952 spec book: for the standard 4403 cab & chassis, without body & payload... from the ground to the top of the frame rail is 32.75 inches... top of frame rail to top of cab is 52.5 inches. Add the two and you should be pretty close to what the 1949 height is. | | |
| |