The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142783 04/02/2004 2:14 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
You asked for it so here it is -- a forum for big trucks.

I'll throw out the first question -- how high does a stock '49 4400 sit? The truck will be a cab and chassis (once I get the cab back on the Chassis) and I want to know if I can get it in and out of the garage door.

Welcome!
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
#142784 04/02/2004 2:37 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
John, Somewhere between 86-90in., from the ground, to the top of cab, depending on tire size.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#142785 04/02/2004 2:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
but more important, does it have a tranny yet? grin [:he ducks:]

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
#142786 04/02/2004 2:44 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
John, my coe towers at a total of 89 inches if that helps. You will probably be under that. It just barely fit in what I think was a standard garage door openning at my old house.
Great new forum! Thanks, Bill.


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
#142787 04/02/2004 3:13 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
WHAT??? John is moving the Bolt from the barn to a garage?? Looks like we're coming up in the world. Or, is this a "mid-life crisis? Have you deep-sixed the Dodgezilla yet?


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#142788 04/02/2004 4:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
OOPS John, That'll be 66-70in., from the ground to top of cab. Punched the wrong keys the first go round.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#142789 04/02/2004 4:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I wish my bolts were in the gallery. I don't know if they got through the proper channels. I'm not the best computer operator, but it has been quite a while since I submitted. Just wondering if I should resubmit or wait a bit longer.
Not impatient, just wondering
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#142790 04/02/2004 4:34 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
LOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEE!!! I'M HOME! you and little ricky get ready cuz i'm takin' you and fred and ethel out to the looieville big truck show!!!! we're gonna talk about detroit diesals and 2 speed axles and air horns all the way there!!

little truck owners got small equipment! grin cool

#142791 04/02/2004 5:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
Really, glad to see this here; it's been a long time coming........
There are more than a few things are are different from the light duty models........
Medium Duty trucks are cool..... cool


*** GMC ***
#142792 04/02/2004 5:08 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Great new forum !!

I don't know the answer to how tall your cab is,
it's just too late to go to the barn and measure the 6400.

I also could not start a new topic here because I did not have permission.

What a great idea, keep all the bigger trucks to ourselves.


Check this one out!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2470857332&category=63734

Don King


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
#142793 04/02/2004 5:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
Yup, it looks like John is trying to keep this one all to himself. I'm certain if we hollar loud and squeal he will fix it for us.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#142794 04/02/2004 5:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
I got a pix of a COE with a camper on the back today.. i'll post it soon.. you will all be impressed.

I want a big truck too.. but how to convince the wife that WE need one?


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#142795 04/02/2004 8:07 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Rusty Rod, take her for a ride in one that is set up right. Go through traffic and let her see how much nicer it is to be able to see ahead on the road cool
Many people get out of the way for you as well grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#142796 04/02/2004 9:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
Not sure about your truck, but my 1960 Viking L60 LCF is about 95" tall.

Hey Like the new forum, nice. The floors are nice and clean and I think the paint on the back wall is still wet... grin

#142797 04/02/2004 11:01 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
Ooops -- Sorry! Mustabeen the cough medicine...

Try it now.

Thanks, Spanky et al. Not funny, Squeeze :mad:

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
#142798 04/02/2004 2:07 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Thanks!!! great idea. Jim

----------------------------
54 Chevy 3100 deluxe
54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump
72 Chevy C/40 flatbed/dump 292"



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
#142799 04/02/2004 2:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 221
J
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 221
Thanks John, for this new forum!

For what it's worth, my 46 two ton fits inside my standard two car garage. I have to nose it in when the stake racks are on it. The racks hit the door if I try to back in. It backs in fine when they are off. (tires are 7:50x20)

Regards, George

#142800 04/02/2004 2:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
Aw right! No wimpy li'l ol' "pee cups" allowed. Jest the big guys!

Here we come! (Sound air horns.)


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
#142801 04/03/2004 1:16 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
I will join in here in saying that this is one of the best ideas for me. I have been asking for this bigger truck site not long after I started here.
I dont post much but I read over 90% of the replies.
I have printed a ream of ideas to help me later.
I have a 51 1.5ton 4400 flat bed. I try to drive it every week.


1951 1.5 ton 4400
#142802 04/03/2004 2:33 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
Greg1.5

As we mentioned in one of the other threads, we get around to the "good ideas" sooner or later. This one has been sooner than most!

Looks like a good response. I suppose it helps a lot that John has two big trucks. grin

Peggy


~ One of many.
#142803 04/03/2004 3:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
HOLY CRAP JOHN!!! eek Deja vu!

Way back when, there was a guy called "Wannabe" who found The Stovebolt Page.

The first question I posted was "Will the truck I want fit?"

I thought the Grand Pooh Bah was omniscient!?! grin

Great idea for this forum. There's ALOT of big truckers here who I'm sure will appreciate it.

Just more proof that The 'Bolt is STILL #1 for old GM truck info. smile

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
#142804 04/03/2004 4:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 23
6
Junior Member
Junior Member
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 23
Man, I am happy to see this new forum! I just went outside & measured my '51 1.5 ton. The ground is uneven, but I came up with about 80" unloaded. It won't fit under my garage door. I can't wait to get pictures of my trucks submitted. The 1.5 looks odd due to the short dump bed. I have about 2 1/2' between cab & bed. Guess I'll have to make some kind of tool box.
Scott


Scooter

I am a total control freak. I shift for myself. No auto's!

1948 1 ton 5 window w/235
1951 1.5 ton dump w/235
1966 3/4 fleetside w/283
1962 Bel Air 235 w/OD
& one rusty,beat up,240K mile '82 Chevy 3/4 ton
#142805 04/09/2004 3:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Sure,,,,, been here for several years now, owning only big trucks, and now sold my last 2-ton, reluctantly! And NOW, you make a forum, sheesh! Thanks alot!

Anyway, John, I have an eight foot door on my garage, Tall that is, and even COE's will just clear that, and sometimes run the lights thru the rubber on bottom of door! Standard cab should fit a seven foot I think, just watch those lights! Biggest problem if not a wide door are those darn big mirrors! They are in the way all the time, once inside also, when working on it. I've whacked my face/head many times on them.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#142806 04/12/2004 5:49 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 19
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 19
I thought I'd had one a those golden moments and had been missing this catagory all along. Thanks John!


When I learn enough to be ignorant more intelligently I will ask better questions.
#142807 04/13/2004 8:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 13
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 13
Congrats on the new forum, and hanging on to the 1.5 ton.

What's the height? According to the 1952 spec book:
for the standard 4403 cab & chassis, without body & payload...
from the ground to the top of the frame rail is 32.75 inches...
top of frame rail to top of cab is 52.5 inches.
Add the two and you should be pretty close
to what the 1949 height is.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0