The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jon G, Hotrod Lincoln, rfs56trk, BC59, Robert Crandall, Gray_Ghost), 94 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,331
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1408191 05/01/2021 6:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
I just realized that the water drain would be releasing water onto the rest of the engine, like into the PVC valve.
Wondering what others do there?


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Year, make, model of truck and engine?

What water drain are you referring to?

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
If you are referring to the cowl vent drain pipe then the original from factory has a slight angle to the drivers side of the engine compartment to keep from dumping the water onto the engine. Can provide a pic later today if desired.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
52 Chevy 1/2 ton
Attachments
20210501_143615.jpg (144.28 KB, 125 downloads)


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
That vent/scoop might still drip water onto the engine/valve-cover? That is especially fatal with Chevrolet Truck valve covers (engines) that have slits/holes in the top. A very poor/dangerous design.

For the sake of overkill and for complete drainage-safety, I have that hose/tube angled away from the driver's side, AND, I have a hose-to-hose tube-fitting for an extension hose that runs below the upper-lip/top of the oil pan. I remove this extension at shows.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
Maybe, strongly believe this is factory. Now, this truck has only seen rain (light) twice in the past 25 years of ownership.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I bought a new rubber gasket for my '48. That seemed to seal very well.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...C379AF4-CFAB-41CC-9382-9C225D547AED.jpeg[/img]Thanks, my truck does stay under a shed but I’ll see if I can extend it & to the side. I tried to post a picture but it never went through.
The reason I noticed was that today I coul not open the vent. WD 40 in the handle lock notches piece.


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

glennj3 #1408279 05/02/2021 11:35 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
Glennj3, your drain is too short. The factory replacements are quite a bit longer. Here’s one from Classic Parts and there really cheap. [LINK]


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
Those sites did not work. I used a water hose that slipped into the present hose. I may put a clamp on it.
Thanks!


1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton
Working on my project since 2015
Follow along in my DITY

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0