The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, joe apple, Gdads51), 93 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,372
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140696 06/06/2004 8:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I have a '51 4400 and a '52 6400 both of which still sit where I first found them. The former owner is selling his property, and I now must move them.

Both run, or have recently, and likely could drive the distance (5 miles), but neither have working brakes.

They won't fit on any trailer I have access to. And with no brakes I don't want to pull them using a chain.

I have a motorhome with a 12,000 GVW raing. I'm thinking about using a towbar and the motorhome to get them here. Another alternative would be to use a wrecker.

Anyone have any other/better ideas?

Oh, and now I have to tell the wife, she didn't know about these...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#140697 06/06/2004 9:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
My towing of a newly purchased '54 4400 ended up being a do-or-die kind of situation. I have a trailer that it would fit on, so I started winching it up. The front went up the ramps ( 2 2X12's screwed together ) just fine. When the rears got about half way up, the ramps exploded. There the truck sat, half on and half off with no ramps to go either way. The only thing I could do was to back the truck off the trailer far enough to center the front wheels of the truck over the axles of the trailer. I lowered the tire pressure in the front tires of the truck, strapped the front suspension down to the trailer and towed it home like it was on a tow dolly. It was a very long rig, 25' trailer and about 15' of truck hanging out behind that, but took it slow and made the 2 mile trip with no problems. It got me thinking about making a heavy duty truck dolly for my next find.
good luck with the tow and the wife,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#140698 06/07/2004 1:34 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2
Steve,

You've probably seen the hauling schedule on Yesterday\'s Tractors (just in case you haven't). I found a fella there that gave me a -heck- of a deal ($250 for two TFs, ~500 miles one way).

The fella happened to be a crawler fanatic -- my load was cake.

I have NO advice on the wife bit. Just a "good luck!"


Tex
#140699 06/08/2004 2:45 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
In Oct '02 I brought home from Nebraska, a 2-ton D-odge B-2-HHA truck (a former Phillips 66 tanker, minus the tank, with an OLD Omaha Standard oak flatbed!). I brought it home on my 18' open car hauler without problems. Mileage one-way was about 770 miles. I pulled it 70 mph w/my Cummins one-ton. Those trucks shouldn't be a problem if you have a car hauler that has 82" between the fenders. The outside tire on the duals will hang out on both sides; big deal. Make sure you've got tires on the trailer that are other than passenger car radials if you're going more than about 20 miles and faster that 35 mph!!!


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

#140700 06/08/2004 6:18 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The trailer I often borrow is a 16 foot and though I know the wheel base is less than 14 feet it makes me a little nervous.

My usual tow vehicle is a half-ton pickup. I can't see it stopping a trailer with one of these on the back...

For this one I'm thinking of using my motorhome, because of the heavier brakes, but still that poor little trailer would be loaded pretty heavy.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#140701 06/09/2004 4:45 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I'd say the best idea is the wrecker. However with the motor home towing and someone operating the propeller brake as Ralfy described you should be OK for 5 miles.

I'm glad you realize your half-ton won't handle the job. If any of you people haul big trucks on little trailers with no trailer brakes using half ton trucks, you are nuts. I hope I'm not in your path when you try to stop that load.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#140702 06/09/2004 3:10 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 53
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 53
most i ever moved with my half ton was a delorean, tho the rented car-hauler type trailer was heavy. question is, how to set the '59 6400 up to tow things once it's on the road

the propshaft brake seems pretty nice actually, i like the idea alot better than the cables to the rear brakes type deal. BUT, don't forget like i did, and set the brake, THEN remember the driveshaft is inthe back of the pickup! it was on level ground, but still, gotta be smarter when playing with big stuff.

#140703 06/09/2004 5:00 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by sykotec:
BUT, don't forget like i did, and set the brake, THEN remember the driveshaft is inthe back of the pickup!
I once watched a guy put his car in park, thinking it would stay in place even though it didn't have a drive shaft.

I think I'll buy or make a heavy duty towbar and use the motorhome. I'd rather pay for the towbar than pay a wrecker.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#140704 06/15/2004 3:36 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
I built my own tow bar. ONe I used square tube and fancy joints. Next one I used 1-1/2" tubing, and made truck end flat welded plate with pivot holes. I remove the bumpers on big trucks, usually easy with couple of bolts in frame rails each side. Then I use thick flat stock, or heavy angle iron, place along frame or inside or outside along top or bottom if I use the angle iron. Drill holes in irons to match orig bumper holes, bolt on with new hard bolts. I used big 3/4" bolts for pivots to tow bar ends, and use double lock nuts to leave some loose to pivot up and down. I used a standard trailer coupler on other end, 2" ball and mine swivels to adjust widths. You need a brace bar going accross it to keep from swinging when pulling though. I have safety chains on it, and still run a chain from one truck thru bar and to other truck. I then hve a light bar set up with magnets or strap on back of towed truck and use extension cord wire to hook up to the trailer connector on tow vehicle. With good ground it works good for brakes and turnsignals. With air in tires, it will follow you anywhere, with no need for driver in towed truck. I keep speed down to 35 if possible, but have done 45 if needed. With truck rolling you can use a big p/up and still pull ok. Braking on wet pavement may cause lock-up, but dry is good. U'haul has clamp on tow-bars, never tried one, but they are fussy on what size tow vehicle you plan to use with it. Plenty of space and lips on those old bummpers.
Sometimes you just gotta pay for towing, and bite the bullet. I have a local big truck tow freind, and get him, usually only $35 for short runs! The more ready to go with it, the better he likes it. He can lift either end if bad tires or such if required. Good Luck!


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#140705 06/27/2004 6:50 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 77
I'm new here and casually searching for a truck since I'm not settled on what to get yet.
This trailering a big truck topic has been educational.
Anyone know where there might be a chart of 40's, 50's and 60's Chevy and GMC truck weights?
Empty and gross weights?
Would be nice to know what I'm getting into.
Mostly interested in lwb panels, 11/2ton & 2ton, and maybe COE trucks.
Thanks.

#140706 06/27/2004 11:11 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Hi Pete, welcome to the Stovebolt!

I don't know of such a chart, but if you can get the year and vin number from a Chevrolet you can call Chevy for a Restoration Pack. That document lists weights including the weight of options.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#140707 06/28/2004 3:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
The towbar should work just fine. We used to tow brakeless trucks with a chain running through a 10' length of pipe. This allowed the lead truck to do the braking, but it was pretty risky.

One bit of advice, have someone in the truck being towed. They can help by doing some steering, and if something goes wrong they can slam it into gear and let out the clutch for an emergency brake.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0