The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hush, 55shaker, 5 Window 9434, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny, Wayne67vert, Gib70), 71 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,368
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1404772 04/04/2021 9:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
S
Custom Title
Custom Title
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
Why does the parking brake in my '49 3600 suck? Literally everything in the rear brakes is new. I'm fairly certain that I have it adjusted properly since if I tighten up the adjustment just slightly, the brakes drag and get hot. The parking brake pedal travels all the way to the floor and will hold the truck on perfectly flat ground, but forget it on any kind of incline. It seems like it should engage somewhere midway in it's travel. Am I missing something obvious here?


49 Chevy 3600
65 Chevy K10
48 International KB-1 Service Truck
55 Willys CJ5 - Chevy 331 powered
26 Model T Roadster Rat Rod
70 Tucker Sno-Cat 442-A
96 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually flatbed x-cab 4x4
06 Jeep Wrangler LJ rock crawler
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Try this; after setting the parking brake, push on the regular brake pedal firmly. On my '51 half ton, it helps a great deal to add this step.

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; 04/04/2021 10:19 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
Also where are you “making adjustments “. Secondly Two man job. While slowly engaging inspect each link in the system. I had a pulley midway that was shifting causing not as much cable movement as I thought

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
S
Custom Title
Custom Title
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 266
There is a solid rod from the pedal to the rockshaft that is adjustable. I've adjusted that so the rockshaft travels equal distance both sides of center from brake released to brake applied at full pedal travel (with the cables disconnected). I then adjusted each cable until the brake just started to drag and then backed them off 1/2 turn. The service brakes were adjusted properly prior to any of this. It's almost like there's lost motion in the system someplace since the pedal is going to the floor, but everything is new and tight.

Last edited by Southtowns27; 04/04/2021 11:27 PM.

49 Chevy 3600
65 Chevy K10
48 International KB-1 Service Truck
55 Willys CJ5 - Chevy 331 powered
26 Model T Roadster Rat Rod
70 Tucker Sno-Cat 442-A
96 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually flatbed x-cab 4x4
06 Jeep Wrangler LJ rock crawler
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
Im not tryin to be a jerk but... READ the manual. I JUST went through this. I was losing my mind laying on the floor adjusting the brakes to the max. I got it to just work on flat but wouldn’t hold a hill. Then i got online and read the manual at work one day and i just started laughing at myself. I had no idea about the eccentric bolt that adjusts the slack in the parking brake system. Heres the link. Hope this helps ya.
Manual

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
If the drums have been turned and the shoes have not been arced to match, this will give you very little shoe contact, and the e brake will not work well.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
Pre 68 Dave thats a great point. Never even thought of that.


1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Pre 68 Dave does make a great point (as usual).
However, I also suggest that you carefully read the Chevrolet Manual on how to properly adjust the rod which goes between the pedal and the crossbar. There is a specific distance indicated between the hump in the cross bar and the crossmember.
Also, the cable adjustments are to be made with the parking brake pedal depressed 1 1/2".
Its all in The Manual. If you don't already have the manual, buy one. Online versions are fine for certain things, but I like the hard copy for careful, over and over reading.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
Thats why i linked the manual. Its a very specific adjustment procedure. Im the normal guy that does it my way then if it dosent work I scratch my head and reluctantly read directions. Well my parking brake sucked HAHAHA. Then i read the directions.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Originally Posted by Barnfind49
Im the normal guy that does it my way then if it dosent work I scratch my head and reluctantly read directions. Well my parking brake sucked HAHAHA. Then i read the directions.
If I am not mistaken, The Man Card bylaws specifically require one to follow your modus operandi. Failure to do so precludes one from being issued said Man Card, or retaining any previously issued Man Card.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I’ve put it off long enough. Shutting the truck off and putting in gear every time I want to get out is pretty inconvenient. It’s time to address my parking brake.

It certainly looks like it’s all there (crust level 11) but I’ve been reluctant to try it....assuming that something would seize in place and cause me a lot of grief. The hydraulic brakes are rebuilt and working just fine.

Squirt all the moving bits down with penetrating oil....work all the joints loose and just go for it? Replace cables first as preventative action? Or lube it up as it as and follow the shop manual procedure?


1951 3100

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0