The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Charles in CA, Gdads51, J Lucas, 78buckshot, walter74), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,671
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Hi, I'm new and I'm looking for information about the original beds on the stake-beds. I don't want to completely hold my breath, but I think I have a near-emmaculate original bed in my "new" acquisition.

There used to be a sheep camp built on the bed of the truck. That was torn off about 6 years ago, but had been on the truck as far back as anybody can remember. That being the case, the bed I now have could be a very well preserved original. I could get really excited about this, but like I said don't want to hold my breath.

They could have put a new floor in when they built the camp. (Wish the camp hadn't been torn off - it was really cool looking.)

Okay, this is what I have: 18 tongue & groove boards. Each is 5" wide, 1-1/2" thick, and 12' long. (Now I know you'll ask me what kind of wood, and I really don't know. I'll try to find out, though.)
All of those sit on 5 boards running the width of the bed. These are 4x6s sitting up (3.5" wide, and 5.5" tall).
These are sitting on 2 more 4x6s 12' long which are u-bolted to the two frame pieces.

As I read back through that, I think that makes no sense at all. I hope you guys are good at visualization. I have pictures which can be e-mailed. I just don't know how to make them a URL to post them here.

What do you guys think? What are my odds?

Husker

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 19
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 19
Ralph!
Is that somthing that is in reprint that can be ordered somewhere, or is that an original you have there. I would be much interested in getting a copy for my never ending project!
Ron


When I learn enough to be ignorant more intelligently I will ask better questions.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I would say it's an aftermarket bed. Most trucks were sold as cab/chassis set-ups then sent out to be fitted with a box to fit buyers needs. Mine has a grain box on it from Ottumwa, Iowa.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
I don't see any signs of tags, marks, etc. which would give a clue as to the maker of the bed. There might have been one on the camper shell, but it has gone the way of the dodos.

I guess I will simply be happy with the fact that the wood is in excellent shape, and go from there.

I've been keeping the bed covered with a tarp as much as possible, however the wind keeps ripping it, and then it rains, ... I was thinking of putting a coat or two of linseed oil on the bed to help preserve it until I get around to working on it. Is that a good choice, or is there something that would work better?

Thanks for the info.
Husker


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0