The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139712 02/01/2005 12:42 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
I have a '65 GMC 1 1/2 ton horse van and live in New Jersey. I just can't seem to get it insured (liability is the main thing).

Any of you big iron guys have this problem? Any solutions?

#139713 02/01/2005 2:44 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
a 1 1/2 ton is considered a commercial vehicle by the insurance company. mostly because that's what they were made for, regardless of what you actually use one for. check with companies that specialize in classic cars, and realistically value your truck. most times it's cheaper than you might think.

#139714 02/01/2005 4:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
Yes but there maye be two problems.

1) I would use the truck maybe 2000 miles per year and actually haul a horse or two in the process. I don't mind bending the rules a little but the big question is if they would refuse to pay a liability claim if they found a horse in the back. I guess I'll have to ask them.

2) It's way too tall for any locked garage I could provide. Most of these companies insist on that.

One of the classic car companies said it had to be "showroom condition". Once I repaint it, it will be fairly nice but not showroom.

#139715 02/01/2005 7:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
Look into insurance for farm trucks. I think that would cover your rig and it's use.

#139716 02/02/2005 12:37 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 19
7
Apprentice
Apprentice
7 Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 19
Overtime, I have insurance threw Gulfway insurers out of Bayonet Point Florida on my big iron. VERY good rates with not many restrictions.


1971 GMC 5500(gone but will never forget), 1972 K20 with plow
#139717 02/02/2005 12:55 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
Gulfway looks like a real good tip. I will call them in the morning. I'll post the results. Thanks!

#139718 02/02/2005 2:07 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Try our Links Page (Use the Menu bar at the top of this page). We have a section for Insurance you might find useful.

We insured our '73 International Loadstar 1800 dump truck with Progressive -- very reasonable rates. The truck had Antique plates and we used it for hauling sand and sawdust for our boarding stable.

Good hunting!
Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
#139719 02/02/2005 3:30 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I've got mine on a limited use rider policy that's under one of my full coverage trucks through Farmers Insurance. I set my own value in case of loss and liability and uninsured motorist for about $50.00 a year per truck.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#139720 02/02/2005 3:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
Back to the drawing board.

Gulfway does not insure in New Jersey.
Neither does Progressive.

Checking the antique ins. links. So far they all want that locked garage etc.

#139721 02/02/2005 4:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
Called all the companies on the links page. Either they don't insure in NJ or they insist on a locked garage. This horse truck is very tall. I just don't have a building big enough.

Any other ideas? Thanks again.

#139722 02/03/2005 4:37 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I called my State Farm agent this afternoon to ask about insurance on the fire truck. They said they would call back...this evening, still no answer.


#139723 02/03/2005 5:31 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
JC Taylor has both my 57 Chevy Fire Truck and 56 Chevy Tow Truck, you might try them.

Good luck!

Mike smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
#139724 02/03/2005 12:42 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Thanks.


#139725 02/03/2005 1:42 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
J C Taylor also insists on a garage....anyone found or heard of an insurance company that doesn't require a garage?

#139726 02/03/2005 10:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
State Farm Insurance called back this afternoon: $29 every six months if it is housed in the fire station. I took that as good deal with my local agent that I've trusted for 12 years.


#139727 02/04/2005 1:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Quote
anyone found or heard of an insurance company that doesn't require a garage?
I have three trucks insured as I've stated above, and only one sees real garage time. Even though my policy is "limitted use" my agent said to drive it as often as I want as long as it's not to work everyday.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#139728 02/04/2005 4:07 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 19
The big problem seems to be New Jersey. A couple of years ago I had a '69 Dodge W500 2 ton truck. It was costing me $800 per year for just liability. Then it went up in one year to $1400. That was with the
only company I could find. They "did me a favor" because I had my homeowners' insurance with them. I imagine the rates are even higher now.

Maybe I should move to Iowa.

If any of you hear of antique/classic ins. in NJ that won't require a locked garage and will take a 1 1/2 ton, post it! It sure will be appreciated.

#139729 02/04/2005 4:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
That's a lot of cash for an old truck...Now I understand why you are so concerned. If I had to pay $1,400 a year for the old fire truck, I might have to think about it too.

Good luck.



Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0