Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series, TexasA&M48Truck, CandoBrent, Forty9, TUTS 59, MikeStone1953),
140
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,211 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 | I have a '65 GMC 1 1/2 ton horse van and live in New Jersey. I just can't seem to get it insured (liability is the main thing).
Any of you big iron guys have this problem? Any solutions? | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | a 1 1/2 ton is considered a commercial vehicle by the insurance company. mostly because that's what they were made for, regardless of what you actually use one for. check with companies that specialize in classic cars, and realistically value your truck. most times it's cheaper than you might think. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 | Yes but there maye be two problems.
1) I would use the truck maybe 2000 miles per year and actually haul a horse or two in the process. I don't mind bending the rules a little but the big question is if they would refuse to pay a liability claim if they found a horse in the back. I guess I'll have to ask them.
2) It's way too tall for any locked garage I could provide. Most of these companies insist on that.
One of the classic car companies said it had to be "showroom condition". Once I repaint it, it will be fairly nice but not showroom. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 | Look into insurance for farm trucks. I think that would cover your rig and it's use. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 19 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 19 | Overtime, I have insurance threw Gulfway insurers out of Bayonet Point Florida on my big iron. VERY good rates with not many restrictions.
1971 GMC 5500(gone but will never forget), 1972 K20 with plow
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 | Gulfway looks like a real good tip. I will call them in the morning. I'll post the results. Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,074 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,074 | Try our Links Page (Use the Menu bar at the top of this page). We have a section for Insurance you might find useful.
We insured our '73 International Loadstar 1800 dump truck with Progressive -- very reasonable rates. The truck had Antique plates and we used it for hauling sand and sawdust for our boarding stable.
Good hunting! Peg
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I've got mine on a limited use rider policy that's under one of my full coverage trucks through Farmers Insurance. I set my own value in case of loss and liability and uninsured motorist for about $50.00 a year per truck. Scott | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 | Back to the drawing board.
Gulfway does not insure in New Jersey. Neither does Progressive.
Checking the antique ins. links. So far they all want that locked garage etc. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 | Called all the companies on the links page. Either they don't insure in NJ or they insist on a locked garage. This horse truck is very tall. I just don't have a building big enough.
Any other ideas? Thanks again. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I called my State Farm agent this afternoon to ask about insurance on the fire truck. They said they would call back...this evening, still no answer. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | JC Taylor has both my 57 Chevy Fire Truck and 56 Chevy Tow Truck, you might try them. Good luck! Mike  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 | J C Taylor also insists on a garage....anyone found or heard of an insurance company that doesn't require a garage? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | State Farm Insurance called back this afternoon: $29 every six months if it is housed in the fire station. I took that as good deal with my local agent that I've trusted for 12 years. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | anyone found or heard of an insurance company that doesn't require a garage? I have three trucks insured as I've stated above, and only one sees real garage time. Even though my policy is "limitted use" my agent said to drive it as often as I want as long as it's not to work everyday. Scott | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 19 | The big problem seems to be New Jersey. A couple of years ago I had a '69 Dodge W500 2 ton truck. It was costing me $800 per year for just liability. Then it went up in one year to $1400. That was with the only company I could find. They "did me a favor" because I had my homeowners' insurance with them. I imagine the rates are even higher now.
Maybe I should move to Iowa.
If any of you hear of antique/classic ins. in NJ that won't require a locked garage and will take a 1 1/2 ton, post it! It sure will be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | That's a lot of cash for an old truck...Now I understand why you are so concerned. If I had to pay $1,400 a year for the old fire truck, I might have to think about it too.
Good luck. | | |
| |