The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, Ponchogl, 2-Ton), 126 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,670
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
Hi, I have been a member for over 10 years and really enjoyed reading all the info and experience here. This is my first post. I am hoping someone can help me out, I have a 1953 Suburban that I have lost the upper rear barn door latches ( I am not sure what they are called ) I want to buy some and do not know what to ask for. I was hoping someone might have some or possibly tell what they are called. They bolt to the top of the doors and to the top of the body and, they keep the door from opening too far when the door is open. Thank you in advance for any help.

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
Do you mean the door checks, like these? I have a set I took out of my truck because I got tired of bashing my head on them, haha!
Attachments
Panel and Commerce Ga 076.JPG (72.62 KB, 233 downloads)


1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Very nice/helpful photo, MiraclePieCo.

The Panel Truck rear door "checks" were different compared to the Suburban checks (at least in some years 47-55st). The rear door checks on my Suburban were different from the checks on my 1948 Panel.

The Panel checks (as shown above) open the doors full-open (perpendicular to the body). The Suburban checks did not allow the rear doors to go "full open". The Panel doors were full-open to allow backing up close-to a loading dock.

Nonetheless, both styles of checks can work with both styles of trucks.

Johnny, after you have made several (5 ?) posts, you will be able to Private Message other members (to talk about buying/selling/trading a part). Those type of conversations should take place in Private Messages and/or in the Swap Meet. Start by posting about your truck. Learn/try to post some photos - we like to see photos, if possible.

Welcome to Stovebolt.com.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,258
Like so.
Attachments
1952suburban127.jpg (42.33 KB, 210 downloads)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Johnny, you are a strange cat. You posted one time 10 years ago, never followed up on that post. We now see you 10 years later for your second post ever. You haven't been able to get out of moderated in 10 years. smile Holy smokes. Welcome back. thumbs_up Quit bugging us so much.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
Thank you all so much, I should of known what they were called, but just could not remember. I would love to put pictures of my Suburban on here, but don't know how.

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
bartamos, I procrastinate a lot, In this case, 10 years. I love reading and following what other people are doing with their ADs, I currently own 5, and getting to old to keep up with them, but I keep trying.

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by tclederman
The Panel checks (as shown above) open the doors full-open (perpendicular to the body). The Suburban checks did not allow the rear doors to go "full open". The Panel doors were full-open to allow backing up close-to a loading dock.

They're both equal-opportunity head-smashers! I removed mine and replaced them with simple Model-A-style leather check straps.


1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks to everyone for your assistance, I have located a couple sets, and one for a panel.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
Are the mount locations in both panels and burbs? I'm thinking of swapping panels into my burb because I want them to hold where I put them, not just act as a travel limiter.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 25
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 25
Where did you find them. Please PM me.

Last edited by Rusty Rod; 02/10/2021 4:58 PM. Reason: solicitation of parts in the swap meet only. Thanks
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Parts for sale/wanted posts belong in the Swap Meet Forum. Thank you.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0