The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (59 fleet, 3800GUY, Charles in CA, IHPWR), 144 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139304 09/13/2007 6:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
Hello again. Maybe some one has some advice out there.
I want to replace the drum brakes on my 60 chev with disc brakes. I have been told that a doner cross member from any 72 -78 chevy will bolt right on. It may be easier to get steering parts for too. Any input folks? thanx.


Elwardo
#139305 09/14/2007 2:09 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I don't think that will work for the 60-62 chassis which is different than the 63 and later chassis'. The info I've gathered over the past few years is that suspension upgrades/changes for 60-62 require fabrication. To me that means skill or money, both of which I don't have enough of. Just because I've heard and read this, doesn't mean it's true. If and when you find out for certain, let us know!!!
That being said, I really like the torsion bar suspension. Word is that they stopped using it to save money. You can adjust ride height in minutes and the ride quality is GREAT w/ new shocks/radials and all parts in good order. My 62 gives a better ride than my friends new Ford. And he admits it.
Last but not least, CPP(Classic Perfomance Products) offers a disc kit for your truck.
http://www.classicperform.com/6092chevtrk.htm


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#139306 09/14/2007 3:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
Thanks for the info. What about doners for disc brades if i kept the torsion suspension ? Money is tight but there is lots of sources in my area for my new habit of restoration. I don't mind a little fab work (keeps the hamster upstairs a runnin').


Elwardo
#139307 09/14/2007 3:52 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
I checked out that site---cool stuff thanks again.


Elwardo
#139308 09/14/2007 11:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Ya but kinda pricey.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0