The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1392900 01/16/2021 5:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
Hello everyone
I have a 1950 GMC 1/2 ton. When I try to order parts from car quest or Napa they ask what series it is (for example FC101,102). I cannot Find a reference list anywhere where I can compare the VIN to a series. From the VIN I believe it is a 1300 or 9300 series truck. Wheelbase is 116”
Thank you

Rmcea #1392903 01/16/2021 5:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
You have a Canadian GMC

Do you have metal plate on the door opening (between driver's-side hinge)?
What is your engine serial number (stamped/pressed into the block on the ledge to the rear of the distributor)?

You might want to also post your question on oldsGMC.trucks.com discussion board?

Last edited by tclederman; 01/16/2021 5:33 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
My engine # is C332586

Last edited by Rmcea; 01/16/2021 10:05 PM.
Rmcea #1392935 01/16/2021 10:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
The Canadian light duty trucks had Chevy engines. The series would be 9300. 1300 were Chevy half ton trucks.

Rmcea #1392939 01/16/2021 10:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Only the 3 ton and up gmc seem to get a gmc engine in Canada or so I’ve been told
My 2 ton and 2.5 ton gmc both have a Chevy engine
-s

Rmcea #1392967 01/17/2021 12:45 AM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
Could try telling them it's a chevy 3100. Seems like they're easier to find in napas database than the Canadian GMC's. Seems to work for me for anything other than engine parts.

Rmcea #1392969 01/17/2021 12:59 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
You would have. 9300 if it was a half ton, 1300 is Chevy .I have a 54 gmc 9300 when I look up parts I look up using Chevy 1/2 ton .you truck came with a 216 most likely unless it was changed .if you need a shop Manuel there is a 54 gmc Manuel on kijjiji London for 20 bucks it is a Canadian version it would be different in some ways but if you truck has a newer 235 it would have it covered as well as the gmc engines in he bigger trucks


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Rmcea #1392970 01/17/2021 1:02 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
Casting numbers on the engine are usually the easiest way to see what engine you have rather than the serial number ,at least on a Canadian truck


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Rmcea #1392974 01/17/2021 1:16 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
1950 Canadian GMC Chevrolet trucks are way down on this page.

1915 - 1972

It is a very long web page.

Rmcea #1392981 01/17/2021 1:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Here is a copy of the serial number explanation from the manual. I have the same page in my manual for 1948 to 52. old GMC Trucks . Your truck would be all Chev mechanically. Even the white on brown instruments are in Chev colours. Most cartalogs have listings using the US series numbers so I believe yours would be a 3100 in the catalog. I am curious which motor you have. I have the Canadian 216 with the short side cover.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Rmcea #1392988 01/17/2021 2:24 AM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
Thanks for all your help


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0