The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Barry Martak, J Lucas, rfs56trk, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139027 08/16/2007 12:09 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i purchased an electric fan to install on my 54/3100 and is on the front clip ready to go but my mechanic suggested i reinstall my mechanical fan because of the possibility of the electric fan goes out and burs up the engine. the reason i got the electric was to eliminate the mechanical to increase the horse power a little. opinions??????????


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#139028 08/16/2007 12:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
nearly every car built today has an electric fan


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#139029 08/16/2007 1:03 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Did you get a good electric fan, like a Spal?

I plan to only run an electric fan or two on my truck. I will also have a temp gauge so I can see if it gets hot and cut it off before I screw something up.

Spal also makes a very nice adjustable fan controller.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#139030 08/16/2007 1:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Ron, Something to consider.....I'm running a six blade flex-o-lite #FLX-1615P (Simmit Racing $24.95) style fan on my 235 with the adaptor plate and the old style pump. It required some careful tweaking to open up the center hole to 7/8" but it pulls air great.....temp runs a notch below the centerline on the stock 54 gauge with a 180 thermostat. This is with the "Old Aire" A/C cranking!!! I did add a pusher in front just in case, on a manual switch and dual relays but haven't even needed it so far.

I have about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance between the center mount blades and the stock mount radiator and have no other clearance issues with the H/B or the alternator/belts/hoses. The only down side is that you will have to pull the radiator to remove the fan, but I don't see any need in the near future. For a complete waterpump change, the adaptor plate, pump and fan come out as a unit without pulling the radiator. The trade-off in HP is worth the peace of mind knowing it is working properly and not subject to any little glitches or Gremlins!!!

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#139031 08/16/2007 2:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Been running fans I got from the local auto recycler (junk yard) for 3 yrs now, No problem.
Threw the standard fan away.

#139032 08/16/2007 2:43 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
I wouldnt be afraid of the Electric fans ,Remember you still have a Temp Gauge ..to let ya know that somethin amiss ?


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#139033 08/16/2007 4:29 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
How about using a " pusher " type electric fan mounted on front of rad ?


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#139034 08/17/2007 4:48 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Q
Apprentice
Apprentice
Q Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
I have more than one classic , I use the fan from a Ford Taurus . it pulls air like you wont belive . It pulls 3300 cfm and is a 2 speed . I wired mine with a manual switch for high, low and off . The low side needs a 30 amp relay and the high side needs a 70 amp . Most guys run it with a heat sensitive switch so it come on by itself and switches high and low on its own . If you run one of these you need a alt with a high output and the electric fan has a high amp draw .

#139035 08/17/2007 5:21 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
That comment brings up a question. What brand after market pusher fan in a 16" size will give you the most CFM? It's a good question since it seems there are several thousand brands of electric fans out there. On a 37 truck, a pusher is all you can use. No room for a puller.

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
#139036 08/17/2007 5:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
USE two relays

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002504#000002

spal


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#139037 08/17/2007 1:44 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
You already have a number of comments with options but no one has ask you a couple of questions. Is you engine/engine deck orginial? If so, do you want it to remain as orginial as possible? If not, what are you running? Will your 'aftermarket' mechanical fan 'cut' your radiator where it should?


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
#139038 08/17/2007 2:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
another vote fr the Taurus/Marquis/Crown Vic fan here, $27 at the U-Pull-it yard & moves more air than any aftermarket electric fan(even doubles) I have ever seen.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#139039 08/17/2007 2:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Ron, I doubt that you would get much more power with the electric fan, leave it as is or get a bigger motor, my 235 never ran hot...............


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#139040 08/17/2007 3:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I have gone both ways & I think you are better off with a mech. fan especially with a thermal fan clutch. I put a high dollar high CFM fan kit on my 70 & didn,t notice any increase in power or mileage. I had to get a high output alt. to carry the load with A/C & the fan. The electric fan is good if you have space problems.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#139041 08/18/2007 4:07 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
mine never run hot in all the years even with the old radiator half full, it leaked. i have a fairly new one now and it never ran hot and it was a daily driver and ran in 95 degree weather and i never had a problem. the issue is should i reinstall the mech. fan the electric is installed and have both???????? ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#139042 08/18/2007 6:40 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I think it is up to you.

As you can see from the replies above some people like mechanical fans and some like electric.

I think both have their place, I have used mechanical fans, and I plan to use an electric fan on my project as a mechanical one won't fit.

For those of you with the idea that mechanical fans don't fail check this out:
Blade
I was in the middle of Yosemite National Park when my 52 3800 threw a blade, not my idea of fun while almost 3,000 miles from home. I was able to get by until I found a replacement fan later in the day.
Fan Balancing


You have already spent money on the electric one, and sounds like you want to use it, or you would not have installed it, so use it. if you are still not sure it was a good idea then put the mechanical fan under the seat with a wrench and a set of bolts.

#139043 08/18/2007 3:08 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Ron, you stated.........the reason i got the electric was to eliminate the mechanical to increase the horse power a little. opinions??????????

I doubt that it would but if that is what you want to do then go for it........


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#139044 08/18/2007 6:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Gigg's advice about carrying the mechanical as a backup is a good idea. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0