my truck came with an extra wheel and tire in the bed, nothing hanging under the box , just an empty carrier. in the cab I had a box of various new parts, one being a Classic Parts spare hook, took one of my old tires I had replaced , a 6.50 x 16 and tried to hang it under the truck, to fat, and I don't like the way the carrier careans into the tail pipe making a dent, after doing some research I going with a 2008 Nissan carrier unless there's something better
I used a simple hidden spare tire carrier from American Van Equipment to mount the spare inside my cargo compartment. It can also be used inside a pickup box.
I have done 3 or 4 crank up spare tire carriers for panel, suburban and pick ups. 55.1-66. $50-$65 donor from Ebay, craigslist or salvage yard. Nice way to go.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
53, 54 and 55.1 are the only Advance Design 3100 trucks with the optional Street Side only spare tire carrier (with the fender indentation). Somewhere there’s a tutorial with pictures and drawing of how to make the indentation. Probably several versions of homemade carriers out there.
I personally like the look of the vertical spare tire on the driver's side. My setup won't help you because I just cut the right size hole in my flatbed so the tire wouldn't fall through. Boy, I've shown this picture a lot.
Last edited by Wally / Montana; 07/09/20203:17 PM.
34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Not to muddy the waters too much, but has anyone had a factory spare tire fender and wanted a plain one. (Not have the side mount spare). I wonder if you could reverse the process shown in the tech tip: cut out the indentation and flip it. If it’s contour/shape would match the fender? Probably plenty of plain fenders around, so it may be a mute point.
Frank Your suggestion would probably work, but it would be much easier to just replace it with a standard fender. The side mount fenders are more valuable as well. Wouldn't make sense to butcher one up.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.